Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
GodDamN
GodDamN began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
PDF Watermarks

Hi All...

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with watermarks in PDF files. I loaded my Canon EOS 350D manual onto my reader the other day using connect. Viewable fine in connect but only the watermark is viewable on the reader itself...

Maybe a bug (possibly with me!)
GodDamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
I've read other reports of this, I think elsewhere on mobileread. I would guess the watermark is set to only appear in "print" copies of this PDF which would seem to imply the Reader is rendering the document as if it were a printer rather than a display.

I don't know if there was any resolution but a quick google seems to show a number of discussions on techniques for stripping out watermarks.
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Do a search of this forum for PDFRead -- this allows the conversion from PDF (including graphics) to any of several different ereader formats. Be sure to select PRS500.

It works excellently for the GoogleBooks files which are nothing but graphic images of the original pages of the books, and which don't show on the reader at all except for the initial Google page.

I'm thinking that you might end up with a file that includes everything. It's worth a try.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I've had the same problem with getting rid of a watermark for a set of PDF's I had, but since, more times than not, the PDF you will have is an image version, there is no quick 'n easy way to get rid of them. Your problem sounds like it's still in non-image form, if only the watermark is showing up, so you might be able to get rid of the watermark using techniques you find off Goodle; e.g., Adobe Pro -> Tools -> Remove Watermark, et al, but if it isn't, then it's time for some fun! If the watermark is a different color than the rest of the text (as in my case), you can simply open the PDF in Photoshop and get rid of the channel the offending party resides in. If it's the same color as the rest, then it's more tricky. In that case you will probably need to run OCR on the PDF and hope the watermark doesn't screw with the process too much.

In the end, if you want a quick 'n easy fix, and can live with the watermark, use either PDFRasterfarian or PDFRead to convert to a more Reader-friendly version. With whatever you choose, Good luck!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
GodDamN
GodDamN began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
thanks for the tips guys. Am on the road at the moment and will try when i get back.

The comment about "printing" by the reader may be key though - I suspect that Canon would not want people printing their docs. Maybe there is some pdf printing trickery going on!
GodDamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodDamN
Hi All...

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with watermarks in PDF files. I loaded my Canon EOS 350D manual onto my reader the other day using connect. Viewable fine in connect but only the watermark is viewable on the reader itself...

Maybe a bug (possibly with me!)
Yes,I too see that behavior. When I put the Canon User Guide( S2 IS model) PDF files on my reader (no conversion) I ONLY get the COPY watermark, no user guide text.

Also after converting to LRF with RasterFarian, I only get the watermark (COPY) no text. Strangely I get the BOTH Canon S2 IS text/diagrams AND the word COPY across the page when I used PDFread to convert the PDF source to LRF .

I mentioned my RasterFarian problem this elsewhere on the forum and hope that someone will suggest a fix for use of RasterFarian. (If it isn't user error!)

Also, I find that using the reader's Zoom feature (on content that has been converted to LRF from PDF) to enlarge the text doesn't work well. When using M or L , part of the page is off the screen (no scroll bars!!<grin>). I'll have to learn how to best use the Rasterfarian options for sizing. Maybe the Landscape mode will turn out to be best for these tired tired old eyes.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote