Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Search and Replace has problems finding italics (book view)
and replacing text removes the Italics
It is not possible to preserve the italic, bold or any other attribute when replacing.

For instance:

Code:
<p>This is <i>one</i> paragraph</p>
you want to replace "is one" with "is not one". What should be italic? "not" or "one"? How about replacing it with "is not long"? Or if you're replacing "is one paragraph" with "is not good", what should be italic?

This goes into some higher theory about parse trees and parent-child descendants. Point being, you can't know in advance when you're replacing that some part of the text should become a child of the current element. It's theoretically impossible.

Every word processor I know does what Sigil does too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RC2 is now online. Blog post with info here.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
RC2 is now online. Blog post with info here.
It would help some if the blog post had a link to the download page.

Overall excellent work.

Under help - about you should update the version with each release. Now it says 0.2.0 I would have expected it to say 0.2.0 rc2.

I'm easily confused and since it wasn't there I wasn't sure if I had actually updated on one of my machines.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
It's here. Blog post with details here.

Hammer it, please. This should be near-final code, if not final.
Sigil looks very good.
I have a couple of questions;

When I do a Ctl+S or select SAVE from the file menu, I get the screen which says it cannot save htm.

When I do a SAVE AS, the only option is to save as Epub.

I would like to save the work file.

Where do I err?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
When I do a SAVE AS, the only option is to save as Epub.

I would like to save the work file.
Well save it as epub then.

Epub is Sigil's native file format.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #21
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Found a possible showstopper in Search and Replace.

Issue 378: version 0.2.0 RC2 search & replace for "all html files" hangs if the Find search string is not found. Works OK if you select look in "current file". Operating system in Windows XP.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Found a possible showstopper in Search and Replace.

Issue 378: version 0.2.0 RC2 search & replace for "all html files" hangs if the Find search string is not found. Works OK if you select look in "current file". Operating system in Windows XP.
I had a hang
I was looking for: * * * *
and I had wild card checked.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
Valloric

Quote:
I had a hang
You'll need to provide more information than that. See the wiki page.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #24
Valloric

Quote:
I had a hang
I just noticed you said you were using wild cards with that search string. If that is the case, then the hang is not a bug in Sigil, the problem is with your search string.

What you had is called Regex Catastrophic Backtracking. Matching that string takes an exponential amount of time, so Sigil just keeps trying to match it, counting the chars, backtracking, counting more, backtracking etc.

With that search string used as a wildcard, you would hang everything from Perl to grep to any other application. Read the linked page.

Long story short, the bug is in your search string.

Last edited by Valloric; 05-06-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I just noticed you said you were using wild cards with that search string. If that is the case, then the hang is not a bug in Sigil, the problem is with your search string.

What you had is called Regex Catastrophic Backtracking. Matching that string takes an exponential amount of time, so Sigil just keeps trying to match it, counting the chars, backtracking, counting more, backtracking etc.

With that search string used as a wildcard, you would hang everything from Perl to grep to any other application. Read the linked page.

Long story short, the bug is in your search string.
I realize that

There needs to be a graceful way to abort when you mess up

I lost my un-saved work because the only way was Kill Process
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
There needs to be a graceful way to abort when you mess up
There is no graceful way to abort that operation.

Say you're working in the python console. You type in 2**2, it prints out 4. The you type in 2**3, it prints out 8. Then 2**4, result 16.

Then you type in 2131434234532**38728284872.

It's not going to tell you "Hey smartass, that will take a couple of years".

Point being, the computer is doing what you told it to do. You can't blame it for that.

I'm not sure, but maybe PCRE can detect catastrophic backtracking. I plan on integrating it, so we'll see then. But I can't force QRegExp to behave differently. And it's not doing anything wrong, it's matching the way you told it to.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
What it's doing wrong is , it's not allowing the user to interrupt and abort the matching operation.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
... or there could be some setting to "abort operation if it has taken more than X seconds and it's not yet finished", with a helpful message of what could be wrong and how to modify X if needed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
What it's doing wrong is , it's not allowing the user to interrupt and abort the matching operation.
I'll take a look, but it will not be easy to do. Not by a long shot. Cross-file searching is done with many threads, and making sure something doesn't explode when you kill them takes a while.

It certainly won't be in the final 0.2.0. Only showstopper bugs and trivial features are getting in now.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #30
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
64 bit Windows default install folder

This is a bit of a nitpick, granted, but is there a reason the 64 bit windows installer defaults to "Program Files (x86)", where 32 bit applications go, instead of "Program Files", where 64 bit applications go?
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote