Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If everything goes as planned, there will be lots of orphans and widows
It's hard to avoid them with such a small screen...
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Did anyone try on the Opus?
Just tried it. The title page, table of contents, etc, are all fine, but when it comes to the actual text, the page is displayed as a tiny block in the upper left corner of the screen. It can, in fact, be read, but not very easily .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I made a quick test and yes, the size at which the PDFs inside and ePUB are displayed by ADE is affected by the page size of the PDF. With a A4-size PDF, the pages are just cropped to the window size, no scaling down, no scrolling... I guess it would be the same on the Opus or other devices. This makes this "trick" currently unusable.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps one might sum it up by concluding that "PDF is not an eBook format", do you think?

Interesting experiment, though. Thanks for trying it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #20
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps one might sum it up by concluding that "PDF is not an eBook format", do you think?

Interesting experiment, though. Thanks for trying it!
I'm sure most people here would--sign of the times and all.

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
This makes this "trick" currently unusable.
I think there's a possibility this could still work with some minor manipulations to the PDFs. I should have a slow day at work today, so I'll get a chance to play around with it a little more.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I think there's a possibility this could still work with some minor manipulations to the PDFs. I should have a slow day at work today, so I'll get a chance to play around with it a little more.
Sure, you can make it work for a particular device (screen size), if that's what you mean, but it would be unusable for other sizes, or when you change orientation. Of course, PDF is designed for a particular screen size, but it should at least be resized for other sizes, not cropped!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #23
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I guess, unsprisingly like with HTML, it seems to be all about hoping that various commercial entities deigning to support a large enough subset of the specification.

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I guess, unsprisingly like with HTML, it seems to be all about hoping that various commercial entities deigning to support a large enough subset of the specification.
... and like PDF. Not every PDF viewer supports line-art smoothing, font hinting, transparency, bookmarks and hyperlinks, annotations, javascript...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
... and like PDF. Not every PDF viewer supports line-art smoothing, font hinting, transparency, bookmarks and hyperlinks, annotations, javascript...
Doubtless that is true. Though I'm yet to encounter a problem as such... are you yourself often plagued by them?

My inconveniences from shoddy and selective HTML implementation are rather more tangible.

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Doubtless that is true. Though I'm yet to encounter a problem as such... are you yourself often plagued by them?
Not often in "normal" ebooks, that's true, but I use Adobe reader when possible, which is the implementation that better supports most of those things. Nevertheless, I miss some features like support for Compact PDF (off-spec, I'm afraid), which could be useful for the case of this thread.

EDIT: I just tried, and with Compact PDF the PDF files went down from 14 MB to 2.6 MB...

Last edited by Jellby; 09-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.