Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
emanuensis
emanuensis began at the beginning.

Device: none
"thanks" (imagine a moving gif: )Well laid out and with lots of options! Although i will have to explore to see if hierarchical relations are possible (eg do not include .mobi IFF there exists a format such as .epub)

Last edited by emanuensis; 06-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
emanuensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The second right-click option: Add books from directories, including sub-directories (One book per directory, assumes every ebook file is the same book in a different format)

I always assumed was specifically there to rebuild a Saved To Disk calibre library. After all, it is not recommended to use the same metadata.db on both windows and linux, so this is the only way to safely share a library between the two.

I can confirm that if you use this option, it reads all the metadata from calibre's generated metadata.opf during the Save To Disk. (Or even if you need to build from the actual library used on a different OS. I tried using the library folder of a Ubuntu installation on a Windows computer once but couldn't link to half my ebook files until I rebuilt from the library folder into a new library.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuensis View Post
Well laid out and with lots of options! Although i will have to explore to see if hierarchical relations are possible (eg do not include .mobi IFF there exists a format such as .epub)
If you saved them from calibre then it will be in the same folder as the same book in two formats, and re-added as such. If you had them listed separately, it will add them separately, but ask to confirm if you want to add "duplicates"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
emanuensis
emanuensis began at the beginning.

Device: none
The mobi format can take 3 or 4 times as many bytes as the epub format. And i am sure there are others examples as well. If one has a epub version and it has all the qualities of the mobi why not get rid of the mobi? (only create it as needed for export to mobi only devices). That would save a lot of space. i would guess that there are many such inequalities, this is only the most prominent.

There seems to be no provision in Calibre for deleting mobi IFF there is a epub. One can only delete mobi's - and that my be the only copy! Perhaps one can massively produce epub's, then delete mobi's?

greg
emanuensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See this technique for easy finding of books that have both epub and mobi formats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try this:

Search for
Code:
formats:"epub" and formats:"mobi"
then ensure that the third icon besides the search bar shows 3 blue lines with a red diagonal (this is the toggle button for Search Highlighting).

Now the library list should only contain the subset of books in your library that have both ePub and mobi formats.

Select the whole displayed list and then right click, and select Remove Books and then select the option Remove books of a specific format from selected books an finally select the ePub option from the dialog.
In your case you would then want to remove the MOBI format and not the EPUB
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert