Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
HTML to MOBI text format is off when I get it on Kindle

I've used Calibre for several months now taking HTML files (I'll often convert PDF files to HTML first before adding them to Calibre) and converting them to MOBI to read on my Kindle.

The last few times I have converted anything, once I get it on my Kindle the text is will not take up the whole screen. One page will go top to bottom, but I click a couple of pages over and then there are just like 2 paragraphs and then I have to click to the next page. Sometimes it's just one line and then the rest is on the next page.

It's not a MAJOR problem, it's just means that I'm having to click "Next" almost twice as often as usual, which I feel is a battery drain.

I've looked at the original HTML file and I don't see any reason why this would be happening, and I haven't changed anything I do when I convert HTML to MOBI. I usually have "Remove spacing between paragraphs" with a 1.5 indent size chosen and remove header and footer selected, and that's about it.

I've included a few screencaps, this is going in order when it happens on the middle page.

I've updated to the latest version, which I don't know if that could be the cause as to this sudden change. If anyone has any suggestions as to what's going on and how I can fix it, I'd be greatly appreciative! Thank you!

Last edited by cloudyvisions; 11-30-2011 at 12:01 AM.
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know the answer to the problem you're having, but I'm sure someone will be along who does.

What I do when converting from PDF is export to HTML and open the HTML in Sigil. In Sigil I get my chapter headings and breaks and any other formatting how I want it and save it as an ePub. I then convert the ePub to Mobi for the Kindle. This gives me the best possible looking book and it's easy to do additional editing in Sigil and re-convert if needed. It also gives me the little chapter marks in the progress bar on the Kindle, which is kind of nice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know the answer to the problem you're having, but I'm sure someone will be along who does.

What I do when converting from PDF is export to HTML and open the HTML in Sigil. In Sigil I get my chapter headings and breaks and any other formatting how I want it and save it as an ePub. I then convert the ePub to Mobi for the Kindle. This gives me the best possible looking book and it's easy to do additional editing in Sigil and re-convert if needed. It also gives me the little chapter marks in the progress bar on the Kindle, which is kind of nice.
I actually tried what you suggested and downloaded Sigil and then saved an HTML file using that program. I converted in Calibre and I still get the same problem where the text will not flow to the very bottom of the screen. So Im' really not too sure what is causing the problem. Do you think it might be something wrong in the HTML file itself causing the major break in lines?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
Do you think it might be something wrong in the HTML file itself causing the major break in lines?
Yes. If you tried two methods with the same results the html would seem to be the culprit. If you open the program in Kindle4PC or other such PC reader do you see the same result? How does it look in calibre's viewer? At the point where you see the gaps what is in the html code at that point?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Yes. If you tried two methods with the same results the html would seem to be the culprit. If you open the program in Kindle4PC or other such PC reader do you see the same result? How does it look in calibre's viewer? At the point where you see the gaps what is in the html code at that point?
It actually looks fine in Calibre's viewer and I don't see any breaks where they show up on my Kindle. And I looked at the HTML in Stanza and it was fine there too. No breaks of any kind.

I just opened it in Sigil and didn't see breaks there either. When I looked at the coding in Sigil I didn't see anything in the HTML that was drastically different from what the other lines had. So I don't even know what I should be looking for.
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It actually looks fine in Calibre's viewer and I don't see any breaks where they show up on my Kindle. And I looked at the HTML in Stanza and it was fine there too. No breaks of any kind.
I wouldn't have expected calibre's viewer to show the behavior because it seems as if calibre's viewer ignores page breaks, most likely the same with stanza.

Quote:
I just opened it in Sigil and didn't see breaks there either. When I looked at the coding in Sigil I didn't see anything in the HTML that was drastically different from what the other lines had. So I don't even know what I should be looking for.
In Sigil find out what class the elements are where you see breaks. Look in the css and see if any of the classes talk about or refer to breaks. Check out the style section (toward the top of each html page) of each page to see if they mention breaks.

I have as much or less experience then you do. I can tell you though your Kindle is breaking on a given, repeatable point because it is being told to by the code.

It's a game of one of these things is not like the other.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote