Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
AAL
AAL began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Torn between Sony PRS-505 or PRS 700

Hello,

I was in the Sony Store and

I love the features on the 700 but love the screen on the 505.

My question is

what would i give up in terms of Software features ( epub, PDF reflow, library books..others) by going for 505?

I am willing to give up search feature as well as bit faster page turns.

I plan to use it for multipurposes

1. Work related PDFs and Word docs
2.Books ( from all sources..especialy free books..library
3. A huge refernce book that I have in RAR format ( that I plan to convert)

Anything else that the members might shed light on.

And last not least a big thank you..great site..informed and civilized discussions :-)
AAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
Hello,

My question is

what would i give up in terms of Software features ( epub, PDF reflow, library books..others) by going for 505?
I believe the 700 has a better zoom facility for images in PDF. There are 5 zoom levels for font sizes in the 700. The 700 has much more memory (twice as much) and may be able to deal with larger ePUB files that choke on the 505 version. There is hope for a dictionary support on the 700 but nothing yet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm not a Sony expert but IIRC the 700 has a search function. When I'm using reference books, I really want to be able to search.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL View Post

I plan to use it for multipurposes

1. Work related PDFs and Word docs
2.Books ( from all sources..especialy free books..library
I am strongly biased toward the 700 since I love it a lot, being almost my perfect reader, while the 500 was unusable for me in the long run due to general slowness and the 505 was not considerably better from my various store tests.

I believe that for technical pdf's 505 is not a realistic option, while for fiction it depends on how you read. If you read one book at a time, page by page, end to end, then 505 will do, but if you like to flip through several books until you settle on the given time read, or you read fast 5 pages, then go back 3 to reread a paragraph that takes more significance in view of what came later or... then the 505 will be too slow in the long run.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
I had the same problem, trying to decide between the 700 and the 505. I went to the Sony store, saw both in person and went with the 505. I just liked the screen better, and since I will spend the majority of the time simply reading the screen, that seemed the most important thing to me.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
prs 700 vs. prs 505