Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
AceVentura
AceVentura began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to change date and time

My kindle (Kindle 4, non-touch) has the date and time wrong. How do I change it? I have looked around all over and I don't see any related setting on the Home menu.
AceVentura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
From the Home Screen press the button to the right of the D pad. I don't know what it's called. Scroll down to settings and it's in there. There's three pages of settings in there & date & time is one of them.

Take the time to read the User Guide that's installed in the device. It's very helpful.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
AceVentura

My Kindle only shows TWO pages of settings. And Date and Time are not there. There is the language setting, the dictionary setting, the wireless on/off setting, and so on, but, for some reason, Date and Time are not there.

I have OS 4.0 (I have not done the 4.1 update because the screen refresh thing does not really affect me)

I should mention that I have never connected to amazon with my Kindle. I only copy books through USB. Does this make any difference?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
I should mention that I have never connected to amazon with my Kindle. I only copy books through USB. Does this make any difference?
Yes. You won't be able to change the time until your Kindle has been registered with Amazon.

Here are the instructions for changing the time: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00728360#clock

Last edited by Synamon; 12-31-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added link
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth noting that, somewhat oddly, the Kindle allows you to set the time, but not the date. The date gets set when you Kindle talks to Amazon's servers via WiFi or 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
AceVentura

I can't connect to Amazon. I am in Cuba and have no Wifi/G3 access, so that's not an option. Perhaps I can do it through the computer, by modifying some file in the system folder of my Kindle. Anyone knows how to do this?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
You need terminal access to change the date and time (date command with the date and time as parameter, then "hwclock -w" to synchronize it to the Kindle clock).
For this the Kindle needs a jailbreak.

You also can install Duokan and set the date and time there.

You can't do anything with just access to the system folder though your computer.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth noting that the Kindle will work just fine without the clock set.

The more annoying consequence of not having a registered Kindle is that you can't create collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
AceVentura

As for the collections thing, there are programs out there that I think will let you do that. I don't exactly remember now, but you can try googling "k0llections". I think that's the name of one such program. I'm sure someone else in this forum knows better.