Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
marshland
marshland
marshland began at the beginning.

Device: auto Kindle converter
Formatting for Kindle

Can anyone suggest a good automatic formatter from html or word to kindle. I've tried Auto Kindle ebook Converter without much success. The chapter headings get squashed and some paragraphs appear in bold. Afraid my tech skills don't run to html so in a bit of a pickle. Any suggestions gratefully received.
marshland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My advice, having done all this last week is to buy the book by Joshua Tallent. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Formatt...7283587&sr=8-1

It basically tells you to save your word doc as a stripped htm file and then how to go about formatting it. The only real way I see is to use the MobiPocketReader Converter and then look at the results with the ‘Kindle for the PC’ app. Then go back and mess with whatever is screwed up.

Tallents book is good but ignore the stuff about Regular Expressions, even people who code don’t like them and you don’t really need them if you have a good html editor, most are free.

Remember: The converter creates a file called MyPublications (this is basically a build folder)– This will hold the cover art, the htm file you are using, as well as the files with all your metadata -.opf file (the stuff you typed into the Converters UI) and the final .prc file. If you make changes to your htm file and then try to run the converter without first deleting your old htm file that it has stored it will rename the new htm file to something else. This will mess everything up if you have created your Table of Contents and Start tags with the old file in the path. So delete the stored htm file each time you make changes and you won’t have a problem.

Last edited by C.I.Bond; 10-16-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling issue
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Marshland,

Take a look at "Calibre", it's very popular and works on multiple platforms.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion guide htm, kindle