Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
color production is coming later in the year
Now THIS is a misinformed young chap!
Dude! There's already color readers... in japan at least (the Fujitsu Flepia), however EVEN the b/w tech is not refined yet, don't count on "later in the year" for color production.

They haven't even been able to get a large book reader on the market FFS! Don't even "dream" about color this year!.... Me, I'll just have to sin and take the apple when the iPad is released here u_u

This guy is just brainstorming, talking crap... You're not going to see that nifty plastic screen in the market for at least a year and a half! And when it comes out it will be more expensive than the rest = fail!

GJMS

Last edited by darknessangel; 06-30-2010 at 05:34 PM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Ive seen and used the Flepia. It uses a cholesteric LCD panel. This article is about e-ink technology.

At SID 2010 in Seattle last month I had the oppurtunity to speak with people from LG display. LG had a color e-ink display on hand to show. They had literally finished it the week before the show, with people from Eink actually making the waveform for it the thursday before the show.

LG added this color layer on their own using Eink film. The LG representatives told me and others in attendance that the 9.7" Color foil backed display would be in production in the 3rd quarter.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...splay-week-lg/

Following that conference LG announced the new joint venture with iRiver to produce ereaders. In the press release they state the will enter the US market this year

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/06/...-us-e-readers/

Also they have already started volume production of the 11 inch foil backed b+w display that was destined for the "skiff". where it will end up?....

PVI has started production of the 9.7 inch plastic backed b+w display. The PocketBook 901 will be in production in August using that display

Im actually pretty well informed, thanks.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 06-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Im actually pretty well informed, thanks.
SMACKDOWN! very polite, but nonetheless.

Good job Dulin. You showed a lot more restraint than I would have...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #19
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With all respect those sound to me as pure, distilled and bottled lies! I just hope you're right. Because I've been waiting long for large readers (color can bite my beautiful behind) and appart from iRex, there hasn't been much.

Quote:
Following that conference LG announced the new joint venture with iRiver to produce ereaders. In the press release they state the will enter the US market this year
I think this sounds more like starting the legal procedures for selling. Otherwise you hear "we will sell THIS on this date!" Anything other than that, I've learned, is just an educated guess which means it can be from 6 months to 2 years.

GJMS
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
PVI has started production of the 9.7 inch plastic backed b+w display. The PocketBook 901 will be in production in August using that display
does "in production" mean available?

Cause there was a word a week ago the devices would be on the Russian/Ukrainian market in the middle September or even October.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
What interests me more, will the flexible screens also have the improved contrast ratio of 10:1? The new Kindle DX has such a new screen but it still seems to be based on glass substrate. If they would combine the better readability with the better durability it would be worth the wait. I have read so many threads in this forum about broken screens that I decided to wait until an unbreakable screen appears on the market. And as far as I have read here even the new Sipix screen will not be based on plastic.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
darknessangel
Addict

mmm... I haven't had any problems with my 6" reader screen and it has had some "remarkable" close saves =P. However, now that I think a little bit more, with larger screens the stress can be evil enuff... perhaps waiting for plastic based readers for large screens is not so bad after all.

GJMS
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I'm pretty excited. The new screens are supposed to have almost double the contrast -- which should be about perfect -- and a refresh rate good enough for some animation. Aside from color, what more would you want from an eInk device? Just hope they are as sharp as my PRS-505.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
abadboy
abadboy doesn't litterabadboy doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I bought a BeBook One 18 months ago. $358.00 w\freight.
It slipped out of my hand last week and the e-ink screen was history. BeBook said they would fix it for $175..00 if I shipped it to their location in Europe.
Bought a Aluratek Libre for $139.00 at Fry's.
I hope the LCD screen can take a little tumble without shattering, but if it can't a least it won't hurt my pocketbook as bad.
I like the E-Ink screen better and if it was as indestructible as they claim I would buy it in a minute.
abadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #25
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I'm pretty excited. The new screens are supposed to have almost double the contrast -- which should be about perfect -- and a refresh rate good enough for some animation. Aside from color, what more would you want from an eInk device? Just hope they are as sharp as my PRS-505.
So am I.
But when are they going to be available?
The last generation Kindle DX boast a higher contrast screen, with no word said about higher refresh rates. We've been waiting for this update for almost a year.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #26
darknessangel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadboy View Post
I bought a BeBook One 18 months ago. $358.00 w\freight.
It slipped out of my hand last week and the e-ink screen was history. BeBook said they would fix it for $175..00 if I shipped it to their location in Europe...
Wrist strap! Damn, it nearly happened to me just a week after buying my 505! It clearly bounced on the floor on one corner and my heart skipped a beat... luckily nothing happened except that the volume key kinda lost its springyness but still works fine.

GJMS
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
We've been promised cheap flexible displays since before the iRex and Sony reader, 5 years ago.

Big manufacturers are not interested in cheap readers. They want money, lots of it and they will do all they can to block cheap displays...

Personnally I won't wait for them even if I am interested...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Maybe one day we'll see a real version of the e-scroll reader. This screen seems flexible enough ; )
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Maybe one day we'll see a real version of the e-scroll reader. This screen seems flexible enough ; )
Those designer renders are almost always amusing, and they highlight what appears to be a nasty rift between designers and hardware/software developers in the ebook reader industry that still exists today.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Those designer renders are almost always amusing, and they highlight what appears to be a nasty rift between designers and hardware/software developers in the ebook reader industry that still exists today.
Car maker got us used to this. They have those car shows with incredible prototypes that will never be built just to sell us some stupid gas guzzling 4by4. It's a norm in any industry. "Make them dream."
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, eink