Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Kindle Cloud / Device / Calibre library sync

I am having issues understanding when something is shown as existing on the Main Device / In Library and how the Kindle handles it. Here is my issue...

I have the seven Harry Potter titles. All from Pottermore, all up to date.

When the Kindle (Paperwhite) is plugged in Volumes 2 to 7 show as In Library when I am looking at the Device tab, and On Device when looking at the library. Volume 1 is a stranger to each source.

I deleted the Device book, and sent Volume 1 to the Kindle from Calibre. Big ticks all round, but now the book is showing on the Kindle as available in the cloud.

I deleted both, took a fresh copy from the Cloud, imported it into Calibre from the device. Didn't change anything. Strangers again.

I saved the AZ3 version from the Device tab to the desktop, and added that as an extra format to the record in the library. Still strangers.

I am now out of ideas. Does anyone know what is going on?!

Thanks in advance.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Send your books from calibre to your device, using the send to device button, then they will always be correctly identified.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid - many thanks for your response. That certainly fixes the issue of the Kindle copy and the Calibre copy showing as sync-ed. However, it leaves the Kindle Cloud showing the book in question as being available for download, i.e. not on the device. Which is wrong, and messes up my back-up workflow.

I have only tried with two books, but this seems to be a change from the way the Kindle Touch worked. It is certainly different from the Kindle K.

Thanks again

amjb
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For books that you put on your device not using calibre, the in device column works by matching title and author. Only if those are *exactly* the same will it work.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Only if those are *exactly* the same will it work.
...and on close inspection, Amazon have decided that Harry should pursue a Philospher's Stone, rather than a Philosopher's one.

Thanks Kovid - glad to work it out!

Next question - is there I way I can / could in the future thanks to the munificence of the Calibre developers have override fields for matching author and title. All being well, Calibre matches with Author and Title. When the alternative loader (Amazon in this case) take leave of their senses, I can secure a match in a field that is hidden from normal activity (like looking at important bits of metadata such as author or title).

That way, in my example, I can keep Amazon Cloud, Amazon Kindle and Calibre all in step. I have achieved that now - but only at the expense of looking like I can't spell Philosopher!

amjb
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The hidden field used is the calibre book UUID, which is what gets used when you send the book using calibre. Unfortunately, with MOBI there's no easy way to directly add that to a MOBI file.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
BLTotton
BLTotton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Using calibre with Nexus7 and kindle paperwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For books that you put on your device not using calibre, the in device column works by matching title and author. Only if those are *exactly* the same will it work.
Hi

I have only recently discovered Calibre and congratulate you on this great eBook management system.

Currently I am using my laptop to utilise Calibre but I will be travelling in a few months and will only have my Nexus7 and Kindle Paper white with me.

I want to use my kindle for eBook reading and use my N7 to manage my ebooks but the more I read the more I believe this is not possible?

I have loaded my ebooks to Google drive but have not been able to access them on my kindle

Is there a way of achieving the above bearing in mind I don't want to use my N7 as an eBook reader?

Also, I have loaded Calibre Companion to my N7 but I'm not sure this helps with my problem. Do I need Calibre Library as well or do these only help with reading books on my N7?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

BT
BLTotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you setup a calibre content server, you can access your books on the go -- another alternative is in my sig.

Calibre Companion is a way of organizing books on Androids, and opening them in the right reader apps. It will not help you get books onto an E-ink device.

ETA: except for some of the small-name Android E-ink tablets that have recently started popping up, and even then, they aren't your Kindle.
Still maybe worth a look, a bunch of people have expressed enthusiasm about them... but eh, why do you need to spend money on another device? The ones you have work fine.
(All evidence to the contrary, of course, some people are collectors.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-30-2015 at 04:50 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you setup a calibre content server, you can access your books on the go -- another alternative is in my sig.

Calibre Companion is a way of organizing books on Androids, and opening them in the right reader apps. It will not help you get books onto an E-ink device.
Not quite true see ==>> CC Beta V3.6.0a has been published. Better support for some e-ink devices

Not sure if its official yet, and I would guess that 'better support for e-ink devices' wouldn't include Amazon e-ink devices.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point, there are some E-ink Android tablets making the rounds these days. Onyx, Boyue and the like.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
schnippel1971
schnippel1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTotton View Post
Hi

Also, I have loaded Calibre Companion to my N7 but I'm not sure this helps with my problem. Do I need Calibre Library as well or do these only help with reading books on my N7?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

BT
Use CalibreCloud (Pro) instead Calibre Companion

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.calibrecloud

or

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...alibrecloudpro

cu Frank
schnippel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnippel1971 View Post
Why? How does that solve BLTotton's problem?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't know, but it certainly solves a problem for the developers of that app. Namely, "Help I need more money!"