Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Stephen B
Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What am I? Crazy?

So I wrote the book, got it professionally edited, landed a Maddison Avenue agent. The agent pedaled it around for a year, got it as far as the Acquisitions Board at Thomas and Mercer (Amazon's new thriller imprint) who kept it for three months but ultimately passed. It's a great book, she kept telling me. It's just a lousy publishing environment. And yesterday I dumped her.

What am I, crazy?!

Well, I wanted to take back control of my work. For a year I felt like a passenger, feasting upon perodic bursts of good news, dieing every time I got bad news. So I've uploaded it to Amazon and Smashwords - and I feel really good about it. I feel as if I'm actually doing something now.

But you need to tell me - Am I crazy?

Stephen
Stephen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
You were, but you seem to have regained your sanity now.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Congratulations on your new release!

No, you're definitely not crazy.

But then again, I'm currently planning a few self-published releases myself, so consider the source.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have 3 self pub, and working on my fourth... so if your crazy, you have company here!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
So I wrote the book, got it professionally edited, landed a Maddison Avenue agent. The agent pedaled it around for a year, got it as far as the Acquisitions Board at Thomas and Mercer (Amazon's new thriller imprint) who kept it for three months but ultimately passed. It's a great book, she kept telling me. It's just a lousy publishing environment. And yesterday I dumped her.

What am I, crazy?!

Well, I wanted to take back control of my work. For a year I felt like a passenger, feasting upon perodic bursts of good news, dieing every time I got bad news. So I've uploaded it to Amazon and Smashwords - and I feel really good about it. I feel as if I'm actually doing something now.

But you need to tell me - Am I crazy?

Stephen
No.
You gave it a good shot. Now it is time to make some course corrections.
Good luck.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
You were, but you seem to have regained your sanity now.
^^ What he said ^^
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hello! Yeh, I'm with Mr Ploppy. Good luck. I have two books out and I'm working on a third so you're not alone.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
No.
You gave it a good shot. Now it is time to make some course corrections.
Good luck.
I agree with SeaKing.

The first book you sell will be one more than you got going the traditional route.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Stephen B
Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your good thoughts. I've sold about a dozen books and as you say, that's a dozen more than the agent sold.
Stephen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again, even past the point that it clearly doesn't work. So by that standard, you are definitely not crazy.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
If you are crazy, then you condemn many of us for few haven't been in the same place in one way or another.

The point is "treat setbacks as lessons and move forward."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Lord Mahoney
Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle Keyboard
I cross Madison Ave every day on the way to work, and they are definitely the crazy ones. Congrats!

Last edited by Lord Mahoney; 09-30-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Lord Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
writergal9
writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.writergal9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm so glad you're selling on your own. After wading in the waters of the "real" publishers, I can't believe any new author would put up with all the crap. Self-publish, I say, and reap the rewards if your book is good.
writergal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
Would you mind linking us with, or, if you prefer PMing me with a link to your book on Amazon?
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
Would you mind linking us with, or, if you prefer PMing me with a link to your book on Amazon?
He can not post a link to his own book in this forum, against the rules. But he can PM it to you...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote