Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Moving from Sony to Amazon

I've been using a Sony PRS-700 for quite some time and have purchased over 150 books for it but am switching to the Kindle 3. Is there a acceptable (i.e. won't violate the rules of this board to discuss) method of moving my books from the Sony to the Kindle? Or am I just stuck having to re-buy them from Amazon if I don't want to read them on the Sony? (My eyesight is going, so the crisper screen on the new Kindles makes is considerably easier to read than trying to read the dimmer and shinier Sony screen.)
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just re-buy

I was reading one book on my Sony PRS 900. I simply bought it from Amazon after I bought the Amazon Kindle WiFi LG 3.

I only buy books I am going to read at the moment. I usually read two at one time.

Already read books are junk to me. I just forget them. I still have ebook files from Adobe, Microsoft and now the Sony which are just dead files to me.

The only book I re-read annually is the Bible. I purchased 3 of them from Amazon for my Kindle.

When I read pBooks, I simply threw out the read books. They became like old newspapers: JUNK.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Is there a acceptable (i.e. won't violate the rules of this board to discuss) method of moving my books from the Sony to the Kindle?
If your Sony format books have DRM then unfortunately you need to find a way to remove the DRM

If your books are DRM free you can convert them to Kindle format (MOBI) using Calibre, and then load them onto the Kindle also using Calibre
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
It's my understanding that discussing DRM is OK, but providing step-by-step directions on how to remove DRM is not.

That said, Google is your friend. Among the the terms to search for are DeDRM and Dark Reverser. Before you start your search, you should be comfortable with installing somewhat obscure software and running command line scripts. If not, then this may not be for you.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
We can tell you that you will need strip the DRM from your current ebook files and then convert them from ... I assume they are ePub although I believe Sony used to sell .pdb? to .mobi.

The DRM part is the part that we can't tell you exactly how to accomplish on this board. Google the phrase "Apprentice Alf blog" and you will find the answers there.

Conversion from ePub to Mobi is easily accomplished via a couple of different software programs. Calibre seems to be the one most talked about around here and is the one I use.

No, I personally wouldn't suggest you buy your books all over again. You've bought them once - right? You should be able to read them on your Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Let me just say that I just finished doing this and it was easier then I thought it wpuld be. My Sony purchased books work and look great on the Kindle. Don't buy them again.

Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
That said, Google is your friend. Among the the terms to search for are DeDRM and Dark Reverser.
I find Apprentice Alf's summary a very useful starting place, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Well, I wouldn't say to re-buy. Only because you might have books you keep going back and reread and there's no need to spend more money on what you already paid for. I for one only buy books I really like and would reread most of them. So when I switched from 505 to Nook (No conversion here) to K3 (epub to mobi), I found the "way" to move them over. Now free books on the other hand I could care less. What available at Sony will usually be available at Amazon also. So the blog mentioned is your friend. It is not as complicated as you thought. Good luck.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
I've been using a Sony PRS-700 for quite some time and have purchased over 150 books for it but am switching to the Kindle 3. Is there a acceptable (i.e. won't violate the rules of this board to discuss) method of moving my books from the Sony to the Kindle? Or am I just stuck having to re-buy them from Amazon if I don't want to read them on the Sony? (My eyesight is going, so the crisper screen on the new Kindles makes is considerably easier to read than trying to read the dimmer and shinier Sony screen.)
Kindle is a nice product, but just in case you didn't know Sony just released a new line up of Reader products, PRS-350 and PRS-650. Screen quality-wise, they should provide equivalent quality as Kindle. You may not have to go through hassle to either repurchase or strip DRM of your currently owned books. Just a suggestion though...

Last edited by yts06mgr; 09-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.