Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Is the 505 for me?

I really like what I've read about the 505 and I'm trying to convince my wife that I need one for school, several of our textbooks came out in PDF form. But I'd like to have more than that to justify the purchase for myself. Being a student I was wondering if the 505 would let me take notes, and/or edit the PDF's that I've viewing? Also, I know that I could borrow books from the library to read on it, but is it possible on the 505 (or any reader for that matter) to read newspapers, periodicals, etc? Are these things available for e-readers? Complete novice here, appreciate any and all advice. TIA!
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl007 View Post
I really like what I've read about the 505 and I'm trying to convince my wife that I need one for school, several of our textbooks came out in PDF form. But I'd like to have more than that to justify the purchase for myself. Being a student I was wondering if the 505 would let me take notes, and/or edit the PDF's that I've viewing? Also, I know that I could borrow books from the library to read on it, but is it possible on the 505 (or any reader for that matter) to read newspapers, periodicals, etc? Are these things available for e-readers? Complete novice here, appreciate any and all advice. TIA!
No, no, no!

The Sony 505 handles pdf's poorly. There's heaps of threads on this forum discussing that. It won't let you take notes or edit, either. The 505 is only suitable for entertainment reading - novels and popular non-fiction without tables, footnotes or illustrations.

For student purposes, you'd be much better off with a laptop.

As my mother would say: "You don't NEED it. You just WANT it."
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, jrl007
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
No, no, no!

As my mother would say: "You don't NEED it. You just WANT it."
Excatly. But I would use it for other things as well. I *have* a laptop, and I'm going to school for computers, so there's one on eveery desk. I want it mostly for other reading, the fact that I could use it to store some of my textbooks is an added benefit but not the only reason I'm getting an e-reader.
Thanks for your reply!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, jrl007
Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
jrl007, you should look at the 600 and 900 readers. They have touch screens and allow you to take notes.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe just a linux netbook is what you need... you can get one for about the same price.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I love the 505, but for textbook reading, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have note-taking capability, and from what I understand the screen size is likely to make reading PDFs of your textbooks difficult. I believe larger-screen readers are generally recommended for textbook/technical reading, but I've never used one, so I can't say.

I do believe the Sony 600 and 900 support note-taking, though screen size is still an issue. You can read periodicals on e-readers, but having never tried that I'm unsure how well it works.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't imagine using the 505 for school. It's nice for casual reading but for textbooks and such, I would stay away from it.

I remembering having to flip back and forth through my textbook and that seems a bit hard to replicate in todays e-readers due to slow refresh rates.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
jrl007
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I can't imagine using the 505 for school. It's nice for casual reading but for textbooks and such, I would stay away from it.

I remembering having to flip back and forth through my textbook and that seems a bit hard to replicate in todays e-readers due to slow refresh rates.
Thanks all for the replies and advice. I haven't been able to find a 505 in my price range, so I'll have to get something else. I was looking on E-bay and the 300 is going for about $150 so I may have to get that one. There are a few other brands in that range that I might look into as well.

Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl007 View Post
Thanks all for the replies and advice. I haven't been able to find a 505 in my price range, so I'll have to get something else. I was looking on E-bay and the 300 is going for about $150 so I may have to get that one. There are a few other brands in that range that I might look into as well.

Thanks again!
The 300 is actually going to handle PDFs pretty much the same, if not worse, than the 505. It's a great device for pleasure reading, or reading books formatted for the device, but textbooks and other PDF books are just not going to work well on either.

Honestly, it looks like your price range pretty much excludes you from any device capable of handling these, except for maybe a refurb netbook.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote