Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
sean90291
sean90291 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Can't read lrx book on new (used) PRS-500

I just downloaded a few free books from the Sony store. They have lrx extensions. I can open them fine on my laptop (in the Sony library reader). But as soon as I put them on an SD card and open them in the PRS-500 ebook reader, I get a "protected page" error and can't read the book. This is the case for all the free books I legally downloaded.

Do I have to register this ebook reader?

Why can't I read lrx books?

I'm afraid to buy any books from the Sony store in case I encounter the same problem.
sean90291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean90291 View Post
Do I have to register this ebook reader?
Yes, you need to activate it to your Sony account. You do this with the Sony software. Plug the reader into your PC while the Sony software is open. You will be able to activate it to your account. Once you do that, you will be able to read the books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
sean90291
sean90291 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, you need to activate it to your Sony account. You do this with the Sony software. Plug the reader into your PC while the Sony software is open. You will be able to activate it to your account. Once you do that, you will be able to read the books.

BOb

Ah.

Now my problem is "activating my account."

I registered the PRS-500 via Sony's site. But there's no change. I can't really tell if my reader is now activated or not.

Dare I say it...typically obtuse technology.

EDIT: Okay, so after several attempts and workarounds, I finally tried dragging the lrx book directly onto the icon for the ebook reader within the Sony Library program. All of a sudden an option pops up saying "would you like to authorize this reader. So I said yes, and it works. I will now try to see if the lrx books will open.

Problem I have with all of this (keeping in mind that I handle media and computers for a living, all day everyday), I should be prompted to authorize the reader AS SOON AS I PLUG IT INTO THE COMPUTER VIA USB. If the Sony Library software is open, it should immediately recognize that the reader is not authorized! Ugh! Seems to be so obvious to me. There should also be an AUTHORIZE menu option, so even if it doesn't automatically pop up with this option, then I can force it to do so via the menu.

Finally, I really wonder why it doesn't ask me to authorize the reader when I insert an SD card containing lrx files. :-(

Not to mention that the eBook libarary software crashes when I try to open items in detail view. Sony can do much better. Heck, I could do much better. :-( :-(

Last edited by sean90291; 12-27-2008 at 03:41 PM.
sean90291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean90291 View Post
Finally, I really wonder why it doesn't ask me to authorize the reader when I insert an SD card containing lrx files. :-(
Do you not think it would be a bit annoying if it asked you to authorize the reader every time you plugged it in? I never bought books from Sony for my 500 but used the software to copy files to it, since that was the only option prior to prs500 (aka calibre) coming out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote