Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #1
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
7" eink device with wifi and sideloading?

I am considering buying a new ereader, but have some rather specific requirements.

I already own an Iriver cover HD, which is a nice enough device, but it has been replaced by my Nexus 7 (2012) as my main ereader.
I prefer the Nexus for two reasons; screen size and general convenience. I store my books on a raspberry pi with COPS and can easily get to them with my Nexus, not so with the Iriver.

But the Iriver has one important advantage in being much lighter, this is important to me as I suffer periodic pains in my hands and arms. Eink is also easier on the eyes.

So, if I could find a lightheight device, with at least at least a 7" screen, around 200g that can download books over Wifi from my COPS library I'd be very interested.
I buy ebooks from a variety of shops, but they usually pass through Calibre before reading so I'm not particularly interested in dedicated shops on the device.

Suggestions?
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I think there are some 8'' eInk-ish (not sure if eInk or similar technology) devices around as well as 9.7'' eInk readers, but I don't think there are any current 7'' eInk readers.

Kobo Aura HD is 6.8'' and seems to be generally well thought of. I'm pretty sure all modern Kobo readers allow sideloading and have WiFi.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Yep, the Aura HD comes pretty close to your requirements. Wifi and sideloading: yes. But at 240g it might be a bit heavier than what you are looking for.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Thanks. That one does look like a contender. At 240g it's still almost 100g lighter than the N7 so is probably acceptable.

I was also looking at the various Onyx Boox devices, well not the M92, but one or two of the others look sort of interesting at a glance. I know they are 6" devices but as Yapyap mentioned there doesn't seem to be many 7" eink devices around. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Kobo Aura HD is 6.8'' and seems to be generally well thought of. I'm pretty sure all modern Kobo readers allow sideloading and have WiFi.
The only downside of Kobo is that they do seem to have the least stable firmware of any of the big-name readers. I've no personal experience of this, but there are an awful lot of complaints in the Kobo forum here at MR. Might be worth the OP's while to ask for views in the that forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only downside of Kobo is that they do seem to have the least stable firmware of any of the big-name readers..
I don't suppose one could flash it and put android on it