Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
NaNoWriMo continues to grow, with both established writers and wanna-be writers participating in this month-long adventure in writing.

As well, many vendors allow generous discounts on their writing software.

For these reasons, this thread will be a sticky until the event is over.

HAVE FUN!

Thank you to crich70 for starting the thread.

Don
(Moderator)
And thank you Don for making the thread a sticky for the duration of NaNo.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I intend to do NaNo this year, though I still have no idea what I'm going to write. I have several ideas but nothing which has really grabbed me.

It'll be my second time, I did it in 2010 also and won. I just loved the concentrated effort.

I'm HippyKitty over at NaNo. Good luck to everyone.
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm in! I have a novella and novel coming out in early 2013 and I need to sit down and write the next full length book in the series.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #19
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks for the reminder, maybe I will :-)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I'm probably in this year. I've refreshed my profile anyway.

I was going to try to write an interactive fiction, using Twine but frankly that's looking less and less likely the more I use the software. If that idea falls on its ass, I have no backup. Haven't written diddly since last year's NaNo.
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm giving it a go this year. I moved half-way across the state shortly before nano last year, there was just no way I could do it then. I don't have any obstacles but myself this year.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still hoping that the plot comes to me in a dream the night, or during a cat-nap before nano starts. What do others do to get those words written? I pull the modem out until I've written my quota. I don't drink coffee, but keep myself going with masses of sugary snacks. Excitement about the story also helps.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm still hoping that the plot comes to me in a dream the night, or during a cat-nap before nano starts. What do others do to get those words written? I pull the modem out until I've written my quota. I don't drink coffee, but keep myself going with masses of sugary snacks. Excitement about the story also helps.
I'm probably going to sit down at the computer this evening and work out some details for my NaNoWriMo project. I'll have to skip the sugary snacks though as they wouldn't agree too well with my diabetes.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J

Have vampire stories been "done to death" lately? I'm considering a plot which revolves around the theme of vampirism, but I'm wondering whether readers are tired of the subject.

After extensive rewrites, I'd probably load it onto SmashWords much much later.

Please help. It's getting close and still nothing but this has "grabbed" me.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Go with your gut and don't think about what others have written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Have vampire stories been "done to death" lately? I'm considering a plot which revolves around the theme of vampirism, but I'm wondering whether readers are tired of the subject.

After extensive rewrites, I'd probably load it onto SmashWords much much later.

Please help. It's getting close and still nothing but this has "grabbed" me.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I agree with Owly, choose your own path. Just because there are a lot of books about Vampires (or whatever else a person chooses to write about) doesn't mean that your book can't find a place as well. After all I imagine that when Anne Rice wrote her books there were already plenty of Vampires out there and when the Twilight series came out, or the Underworld series of films, etc. so there is always room for a new viewpoint on any type of book I think.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
People have been writing fiction for THOUSANDS of years now. There are lots books about EVERYTHING.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
People have been writing fiction for THOUSANDS of years now. There are lots books about EVERYTHING.
Yep, what matters is not that there are a lot of books about any subject but the unique viewpoint that each new author brings to their telling of the tale.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Heartening news for the downtrodden. (Disregard if you are not one. I am one!)

Write a good na-no novel and you might have this kind of happy ending. Here's an excerpt for any writer who may be experiencing creative constipation.

Peter Twohig recently sold his novel, "The Cartographer," to HarperCollins (Australia):

When my (now) agent saw the novel, she gave it to two readers. The three of them suggested extensive changes and corrections, especially to do with the timeline. As a result, I added ten chapters and rewrote much of the novel (which I had considered to be complete), reducing the timeline from ten months to three months and cutting out a number of incidents. After a few months of polishing, she considered the novel ready to send to publishers. As I said, the novel has now been acquired by HarperCollins. I now swear by: having the novel read; checking everything a dozen times, especially time references; making sure that each important character has a distinctive voice.

I do all my writing using Scrivener, the most useful program for writers ever invented, and I export finals into Nisus Writer Pro for polishing. I use DEVONthink Pro and DEVONagent to collect and organise info.

Here's a link to the full interview:

http://blog.lettersandlight.org/post...th-pete-twohig

Unfortunately, I am unable to buy this book from Amazon (main) in ebook format.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
BookCat
C L J

Thanks for the input about my vampire idea. I've had lots of other ideas since, but none of them grab me as much as that one, so that will probably be the plot I'll go with.
Closed Thread