Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Free (Kindle, DRM-free) Bangkok burn - great gangster thriller based in Bangkok.

Non-affiliate link
http://www.amazon.com/Bangkok-Burn-A...2/ref=sr_1_1?s
As far as I can see, the book is DRM-free and is not geographically restricted.

One of the best books I have read in a long time.
It is not only a nice fast-paced gangster thriller, with a complex plot. It is also a book about Bangkok underworld and high society. The author has been living in Thailand for quite a long time and paints very interesting and complex picture on the background of the recent riots in Bangkok.
Quote:
Product Description
Take a walk on the darkside.

Orphaned as a child and raised as the only son of a Thai mafia godfather, Chance plans to quit the family business for the woman he loves.

Chance’s father is the godfather of Pak Nam and owner of the largest crocodile farm on earth. He didn’t get to where he is without knowing a thing or two about people, including how long it takes for a crocodile to digest one. Before Chance can quit, his father asks him to “take care of a little something for me.” Then a bomb goes off.

Waking up in hospital later that night, his father in a coma next door, Chance’s troubles have only just begun. There are three guys dressed in black down the corridor and they aren’t carrying flowers. Worse, Uncle Mike isn’t answering his phone, and a guy with a lisp is asking for a hundred million dollars in a week or “I’ll kill him, sthlowly.”

While figuring out who is trying to put the family permanently out of business, where to get a hundred million, and who’s got Uncle Mike, in the midst of a Bangkok gone crazy with factional fighting, quitting the family business takes a backseat to survival.

Survival begins with dying. And dying is the easy part.
EDIT:
One more thing. The author - Simon Royle os our fellow Mobilereader.

Last edited by kacir; 02-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it!

Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
phloxy
Always reading
phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 7
Thanks, kacir!
phloxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
How does one get books like this one from Amazon for a Sony reader?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Ummmm..........

peter, this is quite unconnected of course but you might want to have a look at Apprentice Alf's Blog, which you might find interesting....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

C, No thanks!

My reference is to the title of this thread which says "DRM-free".

I don't want to strip DRM.

I'm asking how to get the so-called "DRM-free" books from Amazon for a Sony reader.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
C, No thanks!

My reference is to the title of this thread which says "DRM-free".

I don't want to strip DRM.

I'm asking how to get the so-called "DRM-free" books from Amazon for a Sony reader.
Convert them to ePub with Calibre.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
Convert them to ePub with Calibre.
P etal, Sorry to be difficult!

The book is in my amazon library so I can read it online. When I save it, it apparently is not in the right format for Calibre.

How do I get the book so that Calibre can convert it to ePub and store it on my Sony reader?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
P etal, Sorry to be difficult!

The book is in my amazon library so I can read it online. When I save it, it apparently is not in the right format for Calibre.

How do I get the book so that Calibre can convert it to ePub and store it on my Sony reader?

Thanks!
Save it how? You need to get the file downloaded to your computer by sending it to Kindle for PC (or Mac) application from Amazon. So download the application, register it to your Amazon account, and send the book from your Amazon library (Manage Your Kindle page) to the Kindle for PC/Mac app. Then you can add the .azw book file to calibre. You'll find the file located on your computer in the My Kindle Content folder that corresponds with the Kindle for PC (or Mac) application.

Last edited by Synamon; 02-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thanks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm reviewing this novel sometime this month on my site so it's good to get advance notice that the book is written in the key of awesome.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm reviewing this novel sometime this month on my site so it's good to get advance notice that the book is written in the key of awesome.
It really *is* awesome. I have read it and it just rocked.

It has a little bit of romance, it has gangsters, guns, fast cars, large sums of money, crocodiles, the newest technology (the main villain uses SMS messages, disposable mobile phones or Twitter to be in contact with his mafia underlings), it has very likeable villains and crooked officials. All of it is in good balance. The plot is complex and unpredictable - which for me is a must in a really good book of this type.
All the above still doesn't guarantee that you get an exceptional book. For me, the difference between good book and awesome book was all those details about life in Bangkok. The author managed to make this exotic setting an integral part of the book, so you do not get "infodumps", or needless descriptions, or stupid dialogs where one character explains to another something that would never be said in real life.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
You need to get the file downloaded to your computer by sending it to Kindle for PC (or Mac) application from Amazon. So download the application, register it to your Amazon account, and send the book from your Amazon library (Manage Your Kindle page) to the Kindle for PC/Mac app.
S, thanks, but I don't care to install the Kindle software.

I'll just stick to ebooks from other sources.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
S, thanks, but I don't care to install the Kindle software.

I'll just stick to ebooks from other sources.
Then, you can buy a broken Kindle off ebay and register the serial #. All that's needed then is to download the file and import into Calibre.

Tremendously easier than getting a book from Sony or some other sites that have their own epub readers.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Tremendously easier than getting a book from Sony or some other sites that have their own epub readers.
K, I guess I don't understand why you say this.

Getting a book from Sony or other purveyors is very simple.