Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Adware in recent iLiads?

The Register carries a note about PC-adware on some recent iLiad devices: it may install on the PC if it gets the chance.

More here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/iliad_adware/

Last edited by ath; 03-31-2008 at 02:49 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
anyone got any details of this?

mine went back for repair recently and was reflashed, id like to check to see if it was 'infected'.
(i usually access via Mac command line, but id like to know if i do connect it to my PC it will be safe )
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
anyone got any details of this?

mine went back for repair recently and was reflashed, id like to check to see if it was 'infected'.
(i usually access via Mac command line, but id like to know if i do connect it to my PC it will be safe )
Look if you have a file called "autorun.inf" on your iLiad when you connect it via USB. If you don't, your iLiad is probably not infected.

Looks like only virgin iLiads are affected as the infection occured in a factory on the Phillippines...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Only very few devices of a single batch were infected. All customers and retailers who could hav a potentially infected device were informed by email.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What happens if one of these infected iLiads causes the computer to have problems? I would then expect iRex to be sued.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert