Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Reboots with lighted cover :(

So I know there have been issues with random reboots and the non-lighted cover from Amazon.

Well I was using my Kindle this morning sans cover and when I was finished I put it back into the lighted cover. I set the kindle down and walked away....I noticed the green light on the bottom was lit. Strange. Open the kindle back up and its rebooting.
Was hoping it was a fluke so tried it one more time. I took the kindle out and put it back in. The green light came on again and 5 or 6 seconds later it rebooted.

I have had this kindle and cover since launch with absolutely no problems....sad to see them appear now. I'm sure Amazon will remedy the problem but has anyone else had problems with the lighted cover and reboots?

Thank for listening!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I've only taken mine out of the cover a couple of times and had no problems. What I do is turn the K3 totally off, not just put it to sleep when taking it out or putting it back, and then make sure that the bottom hinge is fully, and I mean fully, inserted. Once back in the cover, then I turn it back on.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have read a few reports of the LIGHTED cover causing problems but very few.

Looking at various dissection videos of the k3, it appears that Amazon used one of the internal connectors as a SERIAL PORT connector besides supplying power to the light. I have no idea what they do with a serial port in the k3 but I guess potentially, there might be some cross connection or short that can occur sometimes that might trigger a reboot. This is pure speculation on my part.

It certainly might be better if the k3 was off and not just sleeping when inserting or removing the k3 from the cover. I don't recall the actual directions on using the cover other than the proper angles to hook it physically. But I don't recall any power on/off instructions but they may have been in the instructions.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
mewmartigan - You should talk to Kindle CS about it. They'll be able to tell you if its the Kindle itself that is faulty or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Looking at various dissection videos of the k3, it appears that Amazon used one of the internal connectors as a SERIAL PORT connector besides supplying power to the light. I have no idea what they do with a serial port in the k3 but I guess potentially, there might be some cross connection or short that can occur sometimes that might trigger a reboot. This is pure speculation on my part.
Dave at EEVblog showed in his video that you can short out all the connections without causing the Kindle to crash or even temporarily blip.

The serial port is for development and diagnostics. The older Kindle models had the serial port inside and you would need to open the Kindle to get at it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've had freezing/reboot problems with my lighted cover but I've been too busy to contact Amazon about it. I'll put it on my list for next week.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'll get in touch with Amazon CS and let you guys know. I'm sure they'll be good about it.....just disappointed that it showed up after so many months. Thought I was safe! haha
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I guess I am very lucky I have not had any issues with my lighted cover or K3.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The only freezing and rebooting issues I've had where when I had the 3.0.1 firmware which was very unstable for me.

I take my Kindle in and out of the lighted cover a lot but I suspect it is normally turned off when I do this. Never had an issue with that.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Amazon approach to powering the light via the Kindle itself is an elegant approach, but it seems it can be buggy. Indeed, considering the problems people have had with the unlighted case, I have to wonder how well they tested it. Maybe it's best after all to power the light separately.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
r--t*nix
r--t*nix doesn't litterr--t*nix doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
i have had mine sense they came out and got a lighted cover the next month. i take mine in and out of the cover quite often with out turning the kindle off. also dropped it a few times in the cause and bent the connectors having to bend them back, once off the bed and another out of my hand on concrete. i have never had any problem with random restarts.

do you know when it started doing that? does it do it when it is plugged in or just when ever? what firmware you running?
r--t*nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by r--t*nix View Post
i have had mine sense they came out and got a lighted cover the next month. i take mine in and out of the cover quite often with out turning the kindle off. also dropped it a few times in the cause and bent the connectors having to bend them back, once off the bed and another out of my hand on concrete. i have never had any problem with random restarts.

do you know when it started doing that? does it do it when it is plugged in or just when ever? what firmware you running?
It only started doing it a few hours before my initial post. I had taken it in and out of the cover many times before then.
I'm currently running 3.03 and have been since it first came out.

I still think the lighted cover is a great idea and I will just shut the Kindle of when inserting/removing if I have problems with the next cover.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
What colour are the metal parts that you insert in the kindle?
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I just returned my lighted case because my K3 started rebooting when I hit the page turn buttons. It also lost my place in the book I was reading. I used it 2 weeks. No problems when I am not using the case. I received the refund for the non-lighted case because it caused my K3 to freeze.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote