Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
+1 for Abbyy Finereader. It works very well. I output to either ePub or Word and then convert to a kindle format with Calibre.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim.j.mot View Post
I am using AABBY.
In that case don't choose PDF as your output format. Convert to some other format such as ePub or Word, and then convert that to AZW3.

EDIT: cadele beat me to it

Last edited by HarryT; 06-23-2015 at 04:54 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
rellim.j.mot
rellim.j.mot began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thanks! I will give that a try.
rellim.j.mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
rats, yet another indication I chose poorly with this device.
If the text width in your paper books is about 12 cm (landscape width of 6" screen) or smaller, then you can read it comfortably in landscape with pdf margins cropped.

If our ereader has poor pdf cropping capabilities or is slow at zooming, flipping etc. we can use k2pdfopt app to optimize pdf beforehand on our PC.

k2pdfopt app can automatically crop the margins and cut out the pdf page so as to fit any ereader' screen perfectly in landscape or portraite.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

If you can send a link to a couple of your standard pdf pages I can try to crop them for voyage dimensions using k2pdfopt and then if you'd like the outcome, I could explain to you how to do it easily.

k2pdfopt can also reflow bigger scanned pdf pages, but unlike pdf apps in e-readers that usually reflow just the OCR layer behind the pdf image, k2pdfopt reflows pdf image itself (not OCR layer if it is there) as we would cut out the bigger paper page using a pair of scissors and then paste the words at will on the smaller screen.

That is particularly important for scientific pdfs which don't allow any OCR errors.

I would rather buy some 8" eink reader with the light, though, like upcoming Onyx i86 to have the whole pdf page visible in portraite.

Last edited by markom; 06-24-2015 at 09:21 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I am using AABBY.

You may have an 'underachieving' scanner.

Don't expect a textbook (which may be an unusual size and/or have a large, stiff binding, and/or be old) to live up to your expectations when (presumably) you open the top of your scanner and place the textbook on top of the glass and press 'START' to produce a PDF file.

There may be other issues.

Attempting to read a PDF file (even if all else was perfect) on a 6-ince reader is a cheerless job that invites analogy with the idea of extreme torture. You couldn't pay me to do it (I value my sanity and eyesight too much.)

It seems to me that your expectations were unrealistic, to say the least. I admit I could be wrong: I fully realize that some people enjoy torturing themselves by reading PDFs files on itty-bitty ebook readers.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, ocr, pdf, voyage