Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Frov
Frov began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Please help the helpless: Android user

I'm new today to Calibre, but so far am having a less than satisfactory experience. Haven't been able to find anything useful in the user interface, documentation, FAQ, or even what I have been able to find in this forum, so I thought that I would post in the hope that someone might help.

Here are the details: I'm using an Android tablet as my e-reader, with the B&N reader as my preferred reader application. I store my books in epub format in a subdirectory named "ebooks" on the add-in memory card.

Here are the immediate issues: Calibre sees the divice and shows both a "Device" and a "Card A" icon on the toolbar after the device is attached. I can go into Card A preferences and tell it to use subdirectories, but it never does, it only ever shows me what is in the top level directory. I would want Calibre to see the content of the ebooks subdirectory. If it sees others to that might be OK, but I really want it to see the content of ebooks and use ebooks as the desired storage location. There seems to be no way to set this in the program.

I downloaded some "news" with Calibre. It was automatically saved both to the Calibre Library and to the device. But it was saved to the limited main memory of the device, not to the memory card. Again, I can't find a way to configure this.

Most of my ebooks are in epub format, although I do have some mobi and some pdf files (maybe even a few strays of other types). I would like a column in the Calibre library that says what the file type or extension is. I do see this information on the right hand side when I click on a particular file, but it seems like it should be available in a column as an option, but I can't find any option to allow me to do this. Of course, that doesn't matter much if I can't get Calibre to use the right storage space in the reader.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
Frov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frov View Post
I would want Calibre to see the content of the ebooks subdirectory. If it sees others to that might be OK, but I really want it to see the content of ebooks and use ebooks as the desired storage location. There seems to be no way to set this in the program.
I use calibre companion with my android tablet, but If I recall correctly (while connected) you can right click on the device icon to configure your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frov View Post
Most of my ebooks are in epub format, although I do have some mobi and some pdf files (maybe even a few strays of other types). I would like a column in the Calibre library that says what the file type or extension is. I do see this information on the right hand side when I click on a particular file, but it seems like it should be available in a column as an option, but I can't find any option to allow me to do this.
I'm not sure what advantage there is to having a column with the formats in it. But you can go to Preferences - Add your own columns - Press the Plus sign and add a formats column.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
android, sdcard