Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Fetched news emailed as PDF, links don't work

I fetch news and then send it to an email account converted as PDF.

However, when I read the PDF file the TOC is all the way at the back of the document and the clickable links don't work at all.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertblij View Post
I fetch news and then send it to an email account converted as PDF.

However, when I read the PDF file the TOC is all the way at the back of the document and the clickable links don't work at all.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
Fetch the news as a mobi file and email the mobi file to your Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Fetch the news as a mobi file and email the mobi file to your Kindle.
Thanks dwanthny, but that is not the issue. Email to Kindle as MOBI works fine.

But what I an doing is to send it another email address for saving and reading on a PC that does not have a MOBI or ePub reader, only a PDF reader, which is why I have set up this email address with a PDF conversion, which works (sort of), except for the drawbacks as per my original post
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But what I an doing is to send it another email address for saving and reading on a PC that does not have a MOBI or ePub reader, only a PDF reader, which is why I have set up this email address with a PDF conversion, which works (sort of), except for the drawbacks as per my original post
It would be simpler just to install a mobi reader. Mobipocket Reader and Kindle4PC come to mind.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
It would be simpler just to install a mobi reader. Mobipocket Reader and Kindle4PC come to mind.
Ahhh, I would if I could, but I have no admin rights on this PC, so I can't :-(

The original question still stands
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Ahhh, I would if I could, but I have no admin rights on this PC, so I can't :-(
One more suggestion before someone with applicable knowledge can step in. Do you need Admin rights to install the epubreader extension for Firefox?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
One more suggestion before someone with applicable knowledge can step in. Do you need Admin rights to install the epubreader extension for Firefox?
Don't know, but I do need admin rights to install Firefox :-(.

Thanks dwanthny, I really appreciate all your suggestions, but all of them had come to mind already. What I am really after is to solve the problem at the source, IOW get Calibre to convert the fetched news to PDF with the TOC in the front and the hyperlinks working. Any suggestions for that one?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
What I am really after is to solve the problem at the source, IOW get Calibre to convert the fetched news to PDF with the TOC in the front and the hyperlinks working. Any suggestions for that one?
Almost everyone here is trying to get away from pdf, so your problem sort of goes against the grain. I have zero experience in converting to pdf, but do any links ever work inside a Calibre created pdf? If not, you're going to have to either fix the Calibre pdf conversion code, or use something else. If you aren't capable of modifying the code, I'd look at one of the many free pdf creation tools out there. See if you can find anything that will convert an EPUB (or html) to pdf with links that work. Then you can build a recipe fetch and convert to pdf with another converter that operates outside of Calibre (using a batch file, scheduler and ebook-convert).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
link, news, pdf