Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
emslondon
emslondon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with using Kindle Previewer 2.4 to convert epub files

My Kindle Previewer has just updated itself and is now on version 2.4. I use it to convert .epub files to .mobi - I have KindleGen installed on my PC and normally it just does it automatically when I use Previewer to open an .epub file. However since the update when I try doing this I get an error message saying 'Kindle Previewer has failed to compile the book'. I can't figure out from looking at the compilation details what the problem could be - there are no obvious problems or warnings. I was trying this with a new title I have as an epub, so wondered if it was a problem with this file, but then also tried converting a couple of older titles which I have previously converted successfully from .epub to .mobi using this method, and it doesn't work for them either.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you!
emslondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Is this a purchased epub or one you created yourself? It if is purchased it may be a drm issue.
When you expand the compilation details check close - there must be a line in there somewhere that says warning or some other failure.
I have used version 2.4 on quite a few epub files. But all those epubs are ones I've created.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
emslondon

Thanks Bob. It's an epub I've created myself from an InDesign file so no DRM issues. It's about the sixth or seventh title I've done and it's the first time I've had this problem.

I would post the compilation details here to see if anyone can advise, but I'm not sure how to do it in one of those little boxes to avoid it taking up the whole page?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
emslondon

There are no warnings. The only lines I can see that look like problems are the following:
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML. Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content. URL: C:\Users\EMILY~1.MOR\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7DC_4_ 1A_A_25_22F_15F4_1398_1\OEBPS\Text\00cover.xhtml

and

Info(pagemap):I8000: No Page map found in the book

but I don't think either of these should be problems. The only line that starts with 'Warning' or 'Error' is right at the end:

Error(prcgen):E23028: Final mobi building failed.

Hmmm...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Maybe a tough one, but do you know what any differences are between this doc and the others that worked fine? Do they all have an internal Table of Contents? Is the starting position set? The issue with the cover may be worth investigating as well.
I've never used InDesign, so I'm afraid I can't help much more.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert