Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #601
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
What I want is keeping only the annotation files that contain some actual annotations. If I need to backup the annotations or look at them in my computer, these files are useful. I haven't tried saving the annotations from the database yet, but the files are easily readable without calibre.
Cleaning up the annotation files would also let me quickly see which books have real annotations (by just seeing which files are there).
That's a useful reason.
Quote:

1 and 4: No, although it could be used if you want to remove duplicate information. Or if that forces the device to re-generate the annotation files
#1 will definitely be an option. That is because when you reopen the books, the file is reread and replaces the annotations in the database. When that is done, it screws up the chapter and percentage displayed in the annotations list.
Quote:
2, 3, 5: Yes. Those files would be pretty useless.
#2 is interesting. When you delete a book using the device, it doesn't delete the annotations file. Hence if you delete the book, and put a new copy on, you get the (screwed up) annotations. Some people take advantage of this.
Quote:
This is all assuming that under normal conditions the database and the annotation files contain the same information. Have you seen that this is not the case? I had a quick look and the annotation files for the books which I know I have annotated do indeed contain at least some of the annotations, the files for books I have annotated and then removed the annotations are "empty", the files for books I have not annotated are "empty" too. It's these "empty" files i don't want there.
Yes, that seems to be the case and I can see a reason for removing the clutter of the empty files.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #602
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is because when you reopen the books, the file is reread and replaces the annotations in the database. When that is done, it screws up the chapter and percentage displayed in the annotations list.
Ah, so that is why the annotation list becomes useless? Still, in order to prevent that, you'd need to connect the device to calibre every time before reopening a book, not very practical.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #603
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, so that is why the annotation list becomes useless?
Yes.
Quote:
Still, in order to prevent that, you'd need to connect the device to calibre every time before reopening a book, not very practical.
Yes, but I have deliberately done it. But, usually I just delete them when I connect for some other reason.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM   #604
arspr
None
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 >>> Kobo Aura HD
My thoughts about annotations and Kobo Utils (let's abbreviate to KU) and also KoboTouch driver (KT) (or/and KoboTouch Extended, KTE). (As all the posts here just brainstorming mode):
  • As already said in other thread, KT and KTE should mimic the device behaviour when deleting books from Calibre. Without any kind of option involved they should automatically delete annotations from the database.
  • I cannot think about anything against it, but just in case, I leave it as another item. This automatic deletion from the database should also happen when sending books to the device, specially kepubs. I mean if you resend a book that already exists in the device, this procedure should be considered a shortcut to a) delete the old version from the device and then b) sending a new version to it.
  • At least KTE, but also desirable in KT, should have a tick about "Remove ADE annotations file when deleting/sending books". This tick would "fix", if desired, the leftovers the deletion process actually leaves.
  • KU just needs 1. ("Delete all annotations" util) and 2. ("Clean up the device from obsolete annotations" util). Just in case, both utils should run and check the database and the ADE files at the same time (no need to make things complicated for the average user who doesn't need to know about how annotations are actually stored. He just sees weird annotations and wants to get rid of them. Period. He doesn't care if it is a database issue or a files issue).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #605
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
May I add another suggestion? An option to move books between the internal storage and the card that would both move the actual ebook files and modify the database entries. That is, if it can be safely done.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #606
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
May I add another suggestion? An option to move books between the internal storage and the card that would both move the actual ebook files and modify the database entries. That is, if it can be safely done.
I would have found this extremely useful when I first got my glo and was learning the new reader and all the fun plugins. Made many mistakes and this would have helped big time
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #607
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's an interesting idea and I'll look at it. My first thought is that the plugin deletes the file on the device, updates the database and then triggers a send to device to get the book to the other memory. I can think of problems with that (mainly if the metadata or the save template have been changed), but it shouldn't be hard to do.

Tags
kobo