Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
rtype
Enthusiast
rtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litter

Device: none
LibraryThing metadata download plugin

Hi,

I've put together a plugin which downloads metadata from libraryThing.com into calibre, based on the amazon one.

The plugin is using the webapi from libraryThing so the information that is extracts can be sparse, however the field I have found usefull is the series and series index fields.

It searches with the isbn if available otherwise uses the name of the book.
the fields it processes (if available) are:

title
author
description
series
originalpublicationdate

In order to use it you will need to get a developer key for librarything, see http://www.librarything.com/services/keys.php

Hopefully someone will find it usefull,
Any comments/tips appreciated as this is pretty much the first chunk of python I've ever hacked together.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LibraryThing_plugin.zip (1.7 KB, 1247 views)

Last edited by rtype; 02-23-2010 at 08:28 AM.
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Agro
Agro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Library thing Plugin

Thank you i have been looking for this very thing not being that cluey
at writing scripts etc i unfortunately rely on available plugins which seem to be few for Calibre :\

If anyone feels like it a Barnes & Noble one would be great
i use them in another program i have for adding Metadata when Amazon comes up short i can usually get it on Barnes & Nobles so have started using there's more than amazon's for Metadata for that particular program.

Anyway enough rambling
Thank you for your time effort and consideration.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Thanks, downloading the series info is very handy.

I just tried it out and when after fetching the metadata, I get two results, both look similar in the results page. After playing with it a bit, I can see that selecting one of them will return the series info (the LT plugin) and the other will not.

If I only want the series info from the LT result, 1) How do I know which one is the LT result, and 2) Is it possible to use multiple results so that Calibre would grab Title, Autor, Publisher from one source, and then only grab the info it is missing from the next source? I use to use Collectorz.com Book Collector and this is how it would work, you could specify which metadata sources you want, put them in top to bottom order in terms of metadtata source preference, and when fetching metadata info it went down the list and would pull meta info for empty fields. So it would be possible to have 4 meta sources, and the 1st source could have all of the info, but if it was missing, say, reviews, it would go through the remaining metasources looking for that info.

Thanks!

-Dave
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
rtype
Enthusiast

1) LT always puts Unknown in the publisher field (when the pub date is returned, LT never returns the actual publisher), though it would be nice to have a column indicating the source.

2) There doesn't seem to be, maybe if it was a social metadata plugin It would work like that I'll give it a go and let you know.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
rtype
Enthusiast

Updated Version

I've updated the plugin to retrieve isbns from librarything.

So if no isbn is passed, the plugin will ask library thing for a list of isbns librarything thinks are associated with the name of the book.

It will then fetch the data for the first 3 isbns and return any that refer to a unique libraryThing work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LibraryThing_plugin.zip (2.0 KB, 999 views)
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool are you interested in getting it integrated into mainline calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
rtype
Enthusiast

Yep sure that would be great let me know what I need to do.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

open a ticket (I'm traveling right now and will lose track of forum posts) and attach your plugin. I'll review it when I have a little time and get back to you with my comments.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
rtype
Enthusiast

ok will do. thanks.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Just wanted to pop back in and thank you for all of the time this plug-in has saved me. It is truly invaluable for grabbing series information.

-Dave
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
This is a great plugin. For those who don't know how to use it, just download the zip file, select the Preferences button in Calibre, then Plugins and in the lower right corner of that screen, above the button marked "Add" and to the right of the empty line hit the browse button and browse to the zip file you downloaded. Select the zip file, then finish by hitting the Add button. That's it. I find that it will locate covers and book descriptions, etc. that I couldn't get before.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
rtype
Enthusiast

Thanks SirBC, Starson17 for taking the time to comment great to see the plugin is proving of use.

I've created a Ticket (#5148) to have it hopefully have it included in in the main calibre distro at some point.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtype View Post
I've created a Ticket (#5148) to have it hopefully have it included in in the main calibre distro at some point.
Thanks for adding the ticket. I suspect it will be added, it's useful, and it can be turned off for anyone who doesn't want it.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah, as soon as I have some time to look at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, as soon as I have some time to look at it.
Remember ... vacation? Defined as: "leisure time away from work devoted to rest or pleasure"

Tags
download, librarything, metadata, plugin