Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Setting up server for WWW access.

I have a dynamic IP address, but want to run the Calibre server. How do I do this, as don’t I have to put my IP in the settings ie the URL? Also, not sure about this either, as when I asked my ISP what my Hostname was, they told me they hadn’t heard of this, and if I wanted to run a server, I would need to pay for a new Domain, business rates etc etc….
Im a little confused to say the least.

Ive had the server running successfully on my home network, but buggered if i can see how to access it from the web!
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Simply run it as you normally do. The only trick is you will need to set something up so you can access your computer's IP address from outside.

What you probably want is a dynamic dns service, there are a variety of them available, free and paid, for example no-ip.com, dyndns, duckdns, etc.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Simply run it as you normally do. The only trick is you will need to set something up so you can access your computer's IP address from outside.

What you probably want is a dynamic dns service, there are a variety of them available, free and paid, for example no-ip.com, dyndns, duckdns, etc.
Okay... will be looking into that now
thanks.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
Saxguy
Connoisseur

... okay, I have the ducks domain website, but I haven't got an inkling of what to actually do....
Old 05-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
Saxguy
Connoisseur

... well, tried making up a name, ie mypclibrary, and it has been accepted, so I typed the full http address into the network settings in calibre, and presses test after restarting server.... nothing happened, Tried accessing that address on MAC and PC, just says cant connect to the server.... any idea eschwartz?
Advert
Old 05-22-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
Saxguy
Connoisseur

address being http://mypclibrary.duckdns.org:****

somehow i feel something is missing.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You must tell duckdns what your current external IP address is. Best would be that your home router contains a client that does this automatically. Next best is to run a client on a machine on the home network, probably the machine running your content server, that watches for an IP change and notifies duckdns.

You must also setup port forwarding on your home router so that the internet can see your calibre server. Exactly how you do that depends on your router. It is best that the machine running the content server have a fixed IP address on your home network.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, you will not be able to use that URL inside your home network. Almost no home routers have "loop back" permitting an external IP address to loop out onto the internet then come back through the router to the calibre server.

You do not put that URL anywhere in calibre.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Chaley...

I think ducks has picked up my current IP. Not sure how to watch for IP change?
I have looked at port forwarding, and not sure how to do this. I’m pretty sure the PC has a fixed IP. But, is that when you make a DHCP reservation using MAC address?
If I cant use the URL inside the home network, is there any way of testing it without resorting to going back and forth …. I mean whilst on the home network. ?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:34 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy View Post
I think ducks has picked up my current IP. Not sure how to watch for IP change?
This is done by the client. See https://duckdns.org/install.jsp
Quote:
I have looked at port forwarding, and not sure how to do this.
This is done in your home router. Exactly how this is done depends on your router, but it is probably under some section talking about firewall rules. Typically you enter the external port to monitor, the IP address of the computer to receive packets (the computer running calibre) and the port number of the program on the receiving computer (the content server port). There is probably a support forum for your router if you can't figure it out from the manual.
Quote:
I’m pretty sure the PC has a fixed IP. But, is that when you make a DHCP reservation using MAC address?
A DHCP reservation gives you the equivalent of a fixed IP address.
Quote:
If I cant use the URL inside the home network, is there any way of testing it without resorting to going back and forth …. I mean whilst on the home network. ?
You can test it only from outside your home network. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use a phone with a wireless data plan, turning off its WiFi so it is forced to connect through your phone's provider.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:37 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Also, you will not be able to use that URL inside your home network.
You could put it in your "hosts" file (on a PC, at least).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could put it in your "hosts" file (on a PC, at least).
Unfortunately that wouldn't test anything useful. Because it would map the machine name to the local IP address it would work even if the router isn't doing port forwarding or if duckdns has the wrong IP.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Unfortunately that wouldn't test anything useful. Because it would map the machine name to the local IP address it would work even if the router isn't doing port forwarding or if duckdns has the wrong IP.
Oh I completely agree that it wouldn't be testing anything at all. I was simply suggesting it as a method of being able to use the same URL both at home and away.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I am going to suggest that you go back to the basics. Make sure the content server is running. Then try to access it from another machine on your home network by using the ip address and the port number, for example http://192.168.0.11:8080. You must, of course, substitute the ip address of the machine running Calibre and the actual port number if you have changed the default. Does this work?

Once we know it is working internally, we can then setup port forwarding. What is the brand and model of your modem/router?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Chaley, Darryl, Harry & eschwartz... thank you for your help.
Just back at my comp now, 7.30 Sat morning here. I will try as much as I can re all the info you have given me.
Darryl, yes as far as basics, i have had my content server running for a good few weeks now. I can see my library and download etc onto my KF okay. Yesterday, changed the port setting, and that works (thought it best for security, ie not so obvious as default if going 'live').

Oh, my router is D-link 2730B

Also, one of the things concerning me, and one reason I have hesitated in trying to set up my router with port forwarding, is that I dont want to somehow leave an open gate to hackers, and I am not confident enough to be sure about that myself. This is all new ground to me, but I am enjoying learning new skills. Got a real kick out of getting the content server up and running a while back.

I'll be checking back here periodically, as i am in the midst or renovation work at present.

Thanks again, and I really appreciate all your help. This is a great forum, great community.