Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #46
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
to read a book 2.0 = to access the content
accessibility is high in the digital world -> reading on high
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #47
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Nearly all of my life I carried books around with me to read.

Military utilities will hold three paperbacks in the cargo pocket of each leg. Briefcases have pockets for books behind your work materials. Belt pouches are made in sizes that will hold a couple of books.

In the nineties, I got digital copies to fill in the volumes of my pulp collection which I had never been able to read in print. However, I couldn't carry them around with me and more importantly I could not read them out of doors.

I shelled out for an early tablet back in the windows XP days (a Gigabyte M704) To get a modicum of portability, but though the machine was flexible I still couldn't read outdoors. My wife didn't want a matching tablet. She wanted the Sony PRS 505 we saw while shopping for the tablet.

Once she used it outdoors where the wind kept me from reading my book, I realized that I really needed an ereader.

So for me, outdoor use is a key factor, and I hope the Kobo Aura H2O incites the competition to put out weatherized units as well.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I grabbed it just now. Sounds interesting
Cool. It actually is a pretty interesting book. It starts a bit slow (it's the first book he's written), but picks up. He's a fan of Stanislaw Lem if that tells you anything. [it's also kind of interesting to hear about the independent publishing process from the view point of the author. ]
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I don't. I read on mine outdoors all of the time.
Apache
I don't either. But I was reading outside today while I was waiting for my wife. So my Reader was better to use than a tablet or cell phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #50
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Nearly all of my life I carried books around with me to read.

Military utilities will hold three paperbacks in the cargo pocket of each leg. .
Same here. When I was in the service I always packed a few books away in my pack, my cargo pocket or had some tucked away under the seat in the truck. I also discovered that if you kept the foil package on the chem sticks you could focus the light like a flashlight and then stick it in the headband of your helmet and boom, hands free reading light.

I initially talked myself in to a K2 (then $250) after reading one of Stephen Kings 15lb door stopper "Under the Dome" and the arthritis in my hands would be screaming.

The instant purchase thing has never really worked for me as I live in a "whispersync" dead zone. I have to walk to the end of the street and stand under a specific telephone pole for it to work.

But I really do like the instant dictionary function. where as in the past I would more than likely not bother to find the definition of an unfamiliar word its nice to a add a new one to the vocabulary.

I have since replaced the K2 with a DX and while heavier than the K2 its very manageable with out its cover.

I have found that audio books have almost ruined reading for me as it seems I have less time to sit and read and I really enjoy a good book while driving or working in the yard.

As far as using a phone or tablet, and my iphone is only a little smaller than my K2, its not the same. The ease of reading on E-ink is far superior, even inside with good lighting. I will probably always have an E-ink device.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I prefer the smell of a good ebook.
I hope to avoid that Fried semiconductor (plastic) is not a nice smell

The only thing worse is fried selenium rectifier (A year later, the projection booth still reeked)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #52
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Wow, a millennial who reads those book things? (From a millennial)

Last edited by Waylander; 04-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Wow, a millenial who reads those book things? (From a millenial)
What is a "millenial"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #54
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Somebody aged between 19-35. Often characterised as feckless, narcissistic, morally loose, overly optimistic about the future, their own prospects and skills and in constant need of effusive praise or else their poor little hearts will break at the slightest hint of any constructive criticism.

Last edited by Waylander; 04-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #55
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
No one yet mentioned my most favored differentiator compared to paper books: It's much easier to turn pages when lying down on your side.
For all the great features that e-readers have that make them better than physical books, yeah this is one of their great simple pleasures.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Somebody aged between 19-35. Often characterised as feckless, narcissistic, morally loose, overly optimistic about the future, their own prospects and skills and in constant need of effusive praise or else their poor little hearts will break at the slightest hint of any constructive criticism.
Thanks. It's a strange word: had it been based on "millennium" I would have expected it to have two "n"s in it. Hasn't reached my dictionary yet!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #57
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks. It's a strange word: had it been based on "millennium" I would have expected it to have two "n"s in it. Hasn't reached my dictionary yet!
Actually, it is supposed to have 2 "n"s. Here's a link to the wikipedia entry on millennials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #58
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I think tablet users who use their tablets primarily for reading are about as common as folks with big screen televisions who only watch the news.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #59
Waylander
Fanatic

Sorry to everyone for my incorrect spelling. It is now corrected.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think tablet users who use their tablets primarily for reading are about as common as folks with big screen televisions who only watch the news.
I'm one such person. The vast majority of my iPad use is reading PDFs and other documents which benefit from a colour screen.