Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
KF8 tools now available

Quote:
Kindle Publishing Team says:

We're pleased to announce that Kindle Publisher Tools with Kindle Format 8 (KF8) support are now available for download. Kindle Format 8 is Amazon's next generation file format offering a wide range of new features and enhancements - including HTML5 and CSS3 support that publishers can use to create all types of books. KF8 adds over 150 new formatting capabilities, including drop caps, numbered lists, fixed layouts, nested tables, callouts, sidebars and Scalable Vector Graphics - opening up more opportunities to create Kindle books that readers will love. Kindle Fire is the first Kindle device to support KF8 - in the coming months KF8 will be rolled out to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps.

Publishers have created thousands of KF8 titles already and customers are enjoying the improved formatting and reading features across all types of books. Additionally, KF8 features such as Kindle Panel Views and Kindle Text Pop Up enable great fixed layout books including graphic novels, comics and children's books. We've updated our Kindle Publishing Guidelines (http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/Am...Guidelines.pdf) to help publishers get started with Kindle Format 8.

Please download the new versions of KindleGen (http://www.amazon.com/kindleformat/KindleGen) & Kindle Previewer (http://www.amazon.com/kindleformat/KindlePreviewer) and get started today. More information about KF8, Kindle Publishing Tools & Guidelines can be found at http://www.amazon.com/KindleFormat.

Thanks,

The Kindle Team
Let the fun begin!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So does the Kindle 3/KK support KF8 or will there be support?

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So does the Kindle 3/KK support KF8 or will there be support?
I doubt it. Since they're no longer selling new K3/KK's, I doubt they fall under the "latest generation" umbrella. I don't think there'll be any more feature updates for the KK. I'd love to be wrong about that, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think there'll be any more feature updates for the KK. I'd love to be wrong about that, though.
I'd love for you to be wrong about that, too.

But, it's cool that they finally released the tools. I've been wanting to tinker with them for a while now. See some HTML5 stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I converted "Three Men in a Boat" from an ePub created by Zelda Pinwheel. The process was real simple. Here are a few screen captures from the Kindle Previewer App.

Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm looking forward to playing with the new tools.

And since Amazon are still selling the Kindle Keyboard, I'm hopeful that it will eventually get a firmware upgrade to work with KF8, despite the weasel-worded announcement.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And since Amazon are still selling the Kindle Keyboard, I'm hopeful that it will eventually get a firmware upgrade to work with KF8, despite the weasel-worded announcement.
That'd be sweet. I'd buy a KK in a heartbeat if they do decide to let it join in the reindeer (KF8) games.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That'd be sweet. I'd buy a KK in a heartbeat if they do decide to let it join in the reindeer (KF8) games.
You can join in the Reindeer Games with a KK.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
I think I've found a new workflow!
I used to go Word >> Sigil (EPUB) >> Calibre (mobi)
I've been playing with the new Kindle Previewer, and following works slick:
Word >> Sigil (EPUB) >> Kindle Previewer (mobi).
The process seems faster as well.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
I think I've found a new workflow!
I used to go Word >> Sigil (EPUB) >> Calibre (mobi)
I've been playing with the new Kindle Previewer, and following works slick:
Word >> Sigil (EPUB) >> Kindle Previewer (mobi).
The process seems faster as well.
Kindlegen/Kindle Previewer conversion is definitely to be preferred over calibre, especially if you are submitting to KDP. And now, these are the only tools that can generate KF8 (pending some future update to calibre). Kindle Fire is currently the only device with KF8 support, but I expect support for at least K4/KT to show up within a few months.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindlegen/Kindle Previewer conversion is definitely to be preferred over calibre, especially if you are submitting to KDP. And now, these are the only tools that can generate KF8 (pending some future update to calibre). Kindle Fire is currently the only device with KF8 support, but I expect support for at least K4/KT to show up within a few months.
That may be true if you're submitting for publication or really needing KF8 but I don't find it true for personal use for my K3. I never had a lot of luck with converting using the original previewer or KindleGen for use on my K3 and, after trying these new versions last night, I like them even less.

They're great for previewing, just not for converting, at least for me. When converting from a properly formatted epub that looks great on ADE or on my Nook Tablet, the results on my K3 are sub-par. For example, every first page of a new section/chapter starts waaayyyy down the screen, at about the 90% mark, even though they should start up near the top, around 10-20%. These same files convert perfectly and look exactly like I want/expect them to using Calibre.

Trust me, as awesome a tool as it is, Calibre definitely has its own quirks and I would love to switch to the new publishing tools, but, at least for personal use, I can't

Your results may vary.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
So, Hoyt Clagwell, that's exactly the kind of book I want to give to my clients! What devices are compatible with KF8? Just Kindle Fire and maybe iPad? Did you use Kindlegen or MobiPocket. I haven't tried Kindlegen, but I have used MobiPocket for my clients (more than 100 books and counting). Which would you suggest...
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
So, Hoyt Clagwell, that's exactly the kind of book I want to give to my clients! What devices are compatible with KF8? Just Kindle Fire and maybe iPad? Did you use Kindlegen or MobiPocket. I haven't tried Kindlegen, but I have used MobiPocket for my clients (more than 100 books and counting). Which would you suggest...
As far as I know KF8 is only available for the Kindle Fire. I did try and load the book on my Kindle Touch to see how it would look and it looked awful. Also my KT was very slow after I loaded the book. After I removed the book all was back to normal. I used Kindlegen to create the book. It was created from an epub file previously posted to MR in which I new had the formatting that KF8 supports. For things like dropcaps you may want to start with ePub and then convert.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Thanks...I would assume the KF8 would be pretty good on the iPad? as well as Kindle Fire.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Thanks...I would assume the KF8 would be pretty good on the iPad? as well as Kindle Fire.
I expect that the iOS and K4Mac and K4PC applications will be updated to handle KF8, but I don't think it's happened yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote