Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Any one else read on a Java Phone?

Greetings,

i recently purchased a used-but-mint Sony Ericsson W580I Walkman Phone and discovered, much to my delight, that it is possible to read ebooks on it. I installed the Java version of Mobipocket Reader but I cannot get it to see the ebook files on my memory card (any tips on that?). I was, however, able to get anyreader to work (had to use it to make an embedded book) and it is quite nice: I can control the colour scheme, orientation, font-type, set book marks, resume where I left off, etc. It has all the ebook reading amenities and it is tiny in my pocket. Does any one else use a Java enabled, non-smart phone to read?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Hi luqman
I like reading on my samsung genio touch using tcbr. It has its limitations, eg you need to create jar files for each book you want to read, but once you define the best settings, its very quick to use.
What is anyreader? I googled but nothing came up (tried anyreader j2me)
There is a good walk through here
http://www.techknots.com/mobiles/rea...-ebook-reader/
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried tequila cat but I was not able to get the jar in which I had embedded my book to install properly.
I will try mjBookmaker, though. I had to look all over for anyreader; the original download links are download. I eventually found it on a download site the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Luqman
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

tequila cat hasnt been updated for some time, so the SE phones listed as supported are probably not the ones you need. That was the case for me, and I chose a generic samsung interface with touchscreen support, and then when installed I found a setting to link pageturn to the back button. Its very configurable which is why it suits my samsung.

Check to see if your phone is supported by a paid for app Libris by hillbilly interactive. Its very fast and can be used on low powered phones. Not user configurable though so needs to be one of the many phones supported. I have had more use from this (since 2001) on my many nokias than any other software so the $10 seems worth it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

I was wrong about the program I use on my Walkman phone; it's Readmaniac, not anyreader (it should be easier to find). I like the formating options on it a lot. I just scored a W995 on clearance at the local Sony Style store, so I'm going to try to install Mobipocket on that one and see what happens. Libris: I purchased the Android version and it was okay, but, for me, it was superseded on that platform by the eReader app.

Luqman
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

I just purchased a W995 (can you tell I like Walkmen?) at the Sony Style store on Annapolis last night (they had it on clearance for an obscenely low amount) and I was able to get Mobipocket Java to work on it. Sweet. Also, the full version of Readmaniac was functional, so I have two good options for ebook reading on the go.

Luqman
Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Patricia1066
Zealot

Thank you! I didnt know there was a java version of mobipocket. I test it on the samsung touch.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Patricia1066
Zealot

I installed the mobipocket on Genio touch. It isnt powerful enough to handle the program - very slow response and in settings menu you need to wait several seconds to get a response, if you get a response!
Not too useful in this low specced phone.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
I heard it already but never tried it yet.
Well it was a nice information that that java also lingered into e book.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
petemjones
petemjones began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50V, Literati, Kobo Touch
LG KM555 java ebook reader

I recently installed tequila cat java reader on my LG KM555 cell phone. it works very well after a bit of configuration and you have to put up with two file read confirmations after opening the book file.

I also use a Dell Axim X50V pocket PC for reading e-books with Microsoft reader and mobipocket software. but its battery life isn't too good.
petemjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
symonsj
symonsj began at the beginning.

Device: none
I installed Mobipocket on my wive's Sony Ericcson Naite (J105). It works but the screen is too small to be practical. I place the books manually in the ebook folder of the SD card because the device is not recognized by the Mobipocket PC program.
symonsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
i have nokia x3 which supports books in jar format I got it all: software to convert files into jar. In book i can control backlight (excellent job i can read in the dark no probs!) font size, background and font colours (250) i've set black background with white fonts better for your eyes,you can bookmark stuff find text you need navigate in the text and i didn't need to install nothing. plus all the books i make with cover so i have my tiny library in the pocket
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
pouncer
pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: literati
Hi, this is a belated posting to an old thread

I'm trying to get a "page turn" button working in Mobipocket reader Java (beta) -- any suggestions? The phone is a Tracfone ex124g.
pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer View Post
Hi, this is a belated posting to an old thread

I'm trying to get a "page turn" button working in Mobipocket reader Java (beta) -- any suggestions? The phone is a Tracfone ex124g.
The best advice is not to use Mobipocket reader but Albite reader.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote