Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Wi-Fi and OS X Internet Sharing?

Has anyone gotten Kindle to connect over wifi with a Mac set up with 'Internet Sharing'? I've tried setting it up, and my iPod Touch can get on the internet this way, but Kindle gives this error:

Quote:
Unable to Connect to Wi-Fi Network

Local network connection failed.
Your Kindle is unable to connect to the Wi-Fi
network "TomNet". Would you like to enter the
password again or manually set up this network?

cancel | set up network | enter password again
I've tried with encryption set to none, WEP-40, and WEP-128, without success. 'Channel' is set to 'Automatic'. (OS X 10.6.5)

It's also possible to set up a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network with the Mac, but the Kindle error is different (and expected):
Quote:
Unsupported Wi-Fi network

Enterprise or peer-to-peer Wi-Fi
networks are not supported. Try
connecting to another network.

close
My interest is mostly theoretical, as I normally connect using my Wi-Fi router, but it would be useful when my laptop has an ethernet connection and there's no Wi-Fi for the Kindle.

On another forum, a user reported that it had been working for him but that now it does not. So I'm fishing for ideas.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
My best guess would be that that the kindle still sees it as a p2p connection, but then again it actually gives you a p2p error when trying to connect through that so that's no good. Does the internet sharing require any kind of proxies or anything like that? I know when I go to our public library it won't connect to the wifi network there, because they have one of those walled gardens that make you sign in with your library ID first, and apparently the kindle doesn't know how to handle that. Best of luck, and if anything I guess I bumped your post back to the first page so you'll get more eyes on it.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

in case you haven't seen this ..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117182
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
codegen
codegen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Actually the mac sets up a WAP node. Windows internet sharing uses ad-hoc. The problem is that the kindle aways uses 0 in the "number of seconds since boot" field of the dhcp request packet, and the mac has a filter of 4. So it ignores the DHCP request from the kindle (and the xbox, and the Nintendo). If you change the filter to 0, then the mac happily hands out the addresses. How to do it:

1. start internet sharing
2. cp /etc/bootpd.plist . ## don't forget the "." that means the current directory!!
3. stop internet sharing
4. open bootpd.plist
5. change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
6. sudo cp bootpd.plist /etc
7. start internet sharing

Normally the bootpd.plist is created and destroyed as you start up and stop internet sharing. If the file already exists, it uses the values in it. This can cause problems if, for example you move your laptop to a network that uses the same network values as the plist. So if you do this at work with an ethernet address of a.b.c.x, the bootpd.plist will have addresses of 10.0.2.x. If you go home and have a home router that also uses 10.0.2.x, then the mac will get confused. However, if your home network uses 192.168.0.x, 10.0.1.x, (anything but 10.0.2.x) then you will be ok.
codegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codegen View Post
Actually the mac sets up a WAP node. Windows internet sharing uses ad-hoc. The problem is that the kindle aways uses 0 in the "number of seconds since boot" field of the dhcp request packet, and the mac has a filter of 4. So it ignores the DHCP request from the kindle (and the xbox, and the Nintendo). If you change the filter to 0, then the mac happily hands out the addresses. How to do it:

1. start internet sharing
2. cp /etc/bootpd.plist . ## don't forget the "." that means the current directory!!
3. stop internet sharing
4. open bootpd.plist
5. change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
6. sudo cp bootpd.plist /etc
7. start internet sharing

Normally the bootpd.plist is created and destroyed as you start up and stop internet sharing. If the file already exists, it uses the values in it. This can cause problems if, for example you move your laptop to a network that uses the same network values as the plist. So if you do this at work with an ethernet address of a.b.c.x, the bootpd.plist will have addresses of 10.0.2.x. If you go home and have a home router that also uses 10.0.2.x, then the mac will get confused. However, if your home network uses 192.168.0.x, 10.0.1.x, (anything but 10.0.2.x) then you will be ok.
Thanks, that was helpful, and it's working with Kindle now.

Something else got messed up, and my mbp kept giving Airport a 'self assigned IP' (even though the bootpd.plist had 10.0.2.x etc.). So although other devices could connect successfully, they could not get to the internet. I changed the Airport TCP/IP properties to Manual, using 10.0.2.x etc. and it's working again, at least for this session.

At least now I think I can get it to work again if it stops working, which is progress.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
wifi