Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
earthpigborn
Enthusiast
earthpigborn began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader on Android
Overstock.com Refurbished Nook

Has anyone bought a refurbished nook from overstock.com? Any feedback? Is it as good as a brand new nook?

Do they have different rates for international customers? I just checked both the B&N site and overstock and the refurbished wifi nook is retailing at the equivalent of $176 Is this just because I'm accessing the site from outside the US? Any US based people care to share how much the pre-owned nook wifi costs on overstock?

Thanks in advance.
earthpigborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
It looks like the rates are different internationally. I'm in the US and for me the site says the nook wifi refurbished is 119 and the nook wifi plus 3g refurbished is 139.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

^^I actually found that I could toggle between US and international prices on the site immediately after I made this thread but thanks for the reply anyway

Has anyone bought one of these refurbished nooks? Are they good as new?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
bigbrothad
bigbrothad began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I picked up two 3G Nooks from O and have no complaints with either units. Looks brand new and were shipped in Barnes & Noble re-certified and sealed boxes.

They currently show up as $119/$139. BN also has an ebay outlet store.

Last edited by bigbrothad; 01-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
mavek
mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
^^I actually found that I could toggle between US and international prices on the site immediately after I made this thread but thanks for the reply anyway

Has anyone bought one of these refurbished nooks? Are they good as new?
i must warn you, if you are not a us citizen or you don't have a us credit card associated with a us billing adresses you wont be able to purchase from overstock.com. Same thing happen to me and they have rejected my order in a week.

At the end the nook is shipped by B&N directly but mine is not completely like new there are micro scratches in the lcd screen, i can't see them but if i scroll my finger i can feel them and one button click louder than the other like if it was more usured
mavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
jjk308
jjk308 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G
Just ordered a wifi "refurbished" Nook from Overstock. Due in Friday. It can't be more than 6 months old - only had the 3G before that - and I suspect most were returns on B&N's money back guarantee, not warranty repairs.
I'll report on what it's like.
jjk308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavek View Post
i must warn you, if you are not a us citizen or you don't have a us credit card associated with a us billing adresses you wont be able to purchase from overstock.com. Same thing happen to me and they have rejected my order in a week.

At the end the nook is shipped by B&N directly but mine is not completely like new there are micro scratches in the lcd screen, i can't see them but if i scroll my finger i can feel them and one button click louder than the other like if it was more usured
Hmmm Overstock lists the items in Pesos so I assumed they'll accept non-US credit cards. Did you try to get them to deliver to you directly or to a US address?

@jjk308: I eagerly await your report

Last edited by earthpigborn; 01-19-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
mavek
mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
Hmmm Overstock lists the items in Pesos so I assumed they'll accept non-US credit cards. Did you try to get them to deliver to you directly or to a US address?

@jjk308: I eagerly await your report
yep i'd tried to buy it in us dollars trought an us mail forward adresses because it was to much in euros but they have refused my order
mavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Bought one from Overstock with 3G for my wife for Christmas, and so far, zero problems and looks new.

It was shipped directly from Barnes and Noble, as was the case I bought from Overstock for the Nook.

Search the web for coupon codes for Overstock.com to save more money.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

My girlfriends sister just picked up a Nook 3G refurbished from Overstock. Looks and works like it is brand new. I'm not sure if it's worth the minimal savings to get a refurbished one over a new one though.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Davet
Davet began at the beginning.

Device: none
I got one and more than happy with it! Looks brand new and great deals (look for coupons, you can save even more $$)
Davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
jjk308
jjk308 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G
Mine just came in. The only evidence that it may not be new is that it was charged to 93%. Otherwise there's not a scratch on it and it had the startup program and tour pop up as soon as I turned it on.

The return address is Barnes and Noble so Overstock is just taking the orders, not even stocking the Nooks themselves.

Considering that its got a new Nook warranty this is a steal!

And since I registered it under the same account as my wife's Nook the entire library in her Nook is also available in mine.

Just as glad I got the the WiFi instead of 3 G version. Unless you're in a B&N store and don't have Wifi access otherwise there's no advantage except a slightly faster download in store only. And it meant that I'd be sure to get an almost new one, since the Wifi's only been out for a little over 6 months.
jjk308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Neiks
Neiks began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Bought a Wifi 3G from the B&N ebay store for $119. Can't wait to get it!
Neiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
I just purchased a nook classic wi-fi 3G from the Barnes and Noble website. Wish I would have known to check Overstock.com. It took 2 weeks for my unit to arrive but now that it is here, it looks new to me. It was fully charged and I had no problems registering to my account.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Many items listed as refurbished are actually just "open box" items that can't be sold as new. Sometimes they truly are refurbished, like my Garmin GPS. Came in a white box with all parts just as a new item would. Saved $200 on that deal. So it really is worth looking around for deals.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote