Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I get to play with a 700 :)

Someone I work with from time to time who has seen my Kindle, just told me he bought a Sony 700 for Christmas. I told him I now have the Kindle 2. He'll bring his 700 tomorrow and I'll have my K1 and K2 (I have my K2 with me now) and we'll play.

I've already told him a bit about Calibre, so I'll get him up to speed with that and maybe get him to join MobileRead.

Ebook readers in the wild. Yay!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
exciting ! it's like a mini meetup. tell us all about it...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I shall. I'll take some reader pics as well.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
<3 my 700. I'm finding myself using it more than my 505 lately.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
He'll bring his 700 tomorrow and I'll have my K1 and K2 (I have my K2 with me now) and we'll play.
OOOOH!! an ereader playdate! that sounds like fun! I have yet to meet someone irl with any other form of ereader, but I'd love to set up a playdate with my 505 and some nice little kindle down the lane.... Have fun!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Playdate! Love it.

Playdate delayed. We're both freakishly busy on this job but have until Saturday to try again.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Playdate! Love it.

Playdate delayed. We're both freakishly busy on this job but have until Saturday to try again.
Aww, hope you get your playdate soon! If I could just get a free ticket to the mainland, I could let my 505 play with my mom's kindle. Hey, does that make the kindle an auntie to my 505?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Aww, hope you get your playdate soon! If I could just get a free ticket to the mainland, I could let my 505 play with my mom's kindle. Hey, does that make the kindle an auntie to my 505?
I'm actually playing with it now. The trusting soul left it with me to play with all day (or when I have a moment).

Quick impressions:

-small
-looks different from what I pictured in my head. Even though I've seen many photos of it, in my head, I thought the ribbing ran all the way across the face of the reader, instead of about 1/3rd of the way.
-turns on super fast (way faster than either of my Kindles)
-weight feels the same as my K2 (so it was heavier than I expected)
-I don't have a problem with the screen. My K1 and K2 are crisper but I really have no trouble reading the 700.
-I am not good with the page swiping (I'm not good with it on my iPod Touch either). I much prefer tapping the side of the screen to get the page to turn. I do have to tap a bit harder than I expected. The stylus works great.
-the has 125 books on it and they are mostly pdf books. Zooming pages works well for text, I haven't run across any images yet.
-the fonts in the pdf can be made huge, so a range of vision issues should be covered.
-I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a collection. None of the 125 books is in a collection.

More later, I must get back to the grind.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wow, that IS a trusting soul !

i'm surprised it weighs the same as the K2, the K2 looks lighter to me (and yes i do realise just how absurd that sounds ).

collections : i don't think you can make them directly on the 700 : i always make them in calibre by adding tags or series info, then when i send the books to the device the tags / series are converted into collections.

thanks for sharing your impressions !
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
I'm actually playing with it now. The trusting soul left it with me to play with all day (or when I have a moment).

-I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a collection. None of the 125 books is in a collection.

More later, I must get back to the grind.
Thanks for the review! I can't believe you got to keep it all day! I'd be lost without my 505 for a day... even if I don't get to read it, I have to know it's right there, jic!

I make collections on my sony software- very easy to do there (I haven't yet tried calibre). Just come up with a new folder, put the books you want in there, in the order you want them, and you're good to go. I can't do any moving or changing around on the actual reader itself.

Very cool to read your impressions....
Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, that IS a trusting soul !

i'm surprised it weighs the same as the K2, the K2 looks lighter to me (and yes i do realise just how absurd that sounds ).
I thought the 700 would be much lighter but that metal casing is heavier than I imagined. The reality is that without their covers the 700 = 10 oz and K2 = 10.2 oz. Now if you add the covers, that's a whole different thing. My M-Edge cover is heavier and thicker than the cover for the 700. Padding and that decorative strip of leather on my case add to the thickness.

It's a great reader with some great features. One day there may really be a "Kinny" that combines the best of both. I'm still fully Kindle-zed but it's fun to play in someone else's reader world for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ksk1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	27079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ksk2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	27080  
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Thanks for the pics. Wow, I never thought the Kindle would be that much bigger! I always thought they where around the same.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thanks Daffy, we seldom see pics of the two together. Have we at least Sonyized you a little bit?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Thanks Daffy, we seldom see pics of the two together. Have we at least Sonyized you a little bit?

WDE.

I've never disliked the Sony. It was my trying to decide between the Kindle and the Sony that brought me to MobileRead. I would still choose the Kindle for the same reasons I did before. The 700 is a great reader and if I ever decide to cross-pollinate (which I'm very open to since I now have multiple Kindles), it's on my list which seems to be growing daily.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I've never disliked the Sony. It was my trying to decide between the Kindle and the Sony that brought me to MobileRead. I would still choose the Kindle for the same reasons I did before. The 700 is a great reader and if I ever decide to cross-pollinate (which I'm very open to since I now have multiple Kindles), it's on my list which seems to be growing daily.
we must have the same list.

and i take back what i said about the kindle "looking" lighter (which i know is still absurd ) ; i didn't realize it was so much bigger than the sony ! it's hard to judge from photos.