Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #406
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@notalive: If your device wasn't jailbroken, yes. If not, just reinstall the hacks.

@ext233: Answered in the other thread, but the answer is basically the same as what I just said to @notalive .

@kuoirad: Make sure you don't have any extra files that popped up in your screensavers folder, and that all of them are in the proper format.

@kaswistry: Same answer as @kuoirad. Bad files. (Or, yeah, something else messing with it, caught your latest replies, sorry ).

A couple of different ways to verify the format of your files would be to either check them one by one through ImageMagick 'identify' tool (not bundled, so you'll need a *nix box), or to try to print them on the Kindle via eips -f -g and check that they show up properly.

The default screensavers are backed up in linkss/backups

@grant.ben08: Can't make heads or tails of what you did, as you seem to have been mixing up a lot of different stuff. What did you install/use, and what doesn't seem to work?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #407
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I installed the screen saver hack today on me KT, everything went great untill i put the new screensavers onto my kindle.

The First two displayed correctly but after that it would only show the last page displayed.

It turned out that the wallpapers i had downloaded were the problem, They were all png files of the right dimensions but they were 24bit files, even tho they were desaturated.

I'm so glad i checked before i came running for Help.

i ran everything through GIMP, and now i'm a happy bunny.

Now to turn some of my own photos into wallpapers.

Thanks for such a great Hack.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #408
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
It turned out that the wallpapers i had downloaded were the problem, They were all png files of the right dimensions but they were 24bit files, even tho they were desaturated.

Hello, what do you mean they were 24bit files? What 'bit' were they supposed to be?

Maybe this is one of the causes of my Screensavers acting up even if I have the right file type and screen resolution
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #409
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
Hello, what do you mean they were 24bit files? What 'bit' were they supposed to be?

Maybe this is one of the causes of my Screensavers acting up even if I have the right file type and screen resolution
http://www.8bitalpha.com/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #410
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thanks but would really love it if you could explain. It would help people understand why they have to go from point A to B and why point A doesn't work. But then, that's just me
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #411
wtzll
wtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello,
Has anyone figured out how to make the screensaver hack work on the 5.3.3? I have it working on the 5.3.1, but as it stands, I have to keep the wifi off, to prevent the forced update... And I would very much like to not have the wifi disabled.
Cheers
wtzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #412
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtzll View Post
Hello,
Has anyone figured out how to make the screensaver hack work on the 5.3.3? I have it working on the 5.3.1, but as it stands, I have to keep the wifi off, to prevent the forced update... And I would very much like to not have the wifi disabled.
Cheers
The screensaver hack works fine on 5.3.3 -it is the jailbreak that is the problem and must be applied to 5.3.1 before you update- but if you already have custom screensavers working, then your jailbreak is good. Just follow the directions about reapplying the screensaver hack after you update. (fyi, JBPatch now works on 5.3.3 also)

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-03-2013 at 01:01 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #413
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post

If you right click the file and select properties, then detail it wil tell you the bt depth. For me 24 bit files stopped the Hack working right.

i Hope this helps.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #414
wtzll
wtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
The screensaver hack works fine on 5.3.3 -it is the jailbreak that is the problem and must be applied to 5.3.1 before you update- but if you already have custom screensavers working, then your jailbreak is good. Just follow the directions about reapplying the screensaver hack after you update. (fyi, JBPatch now works on 5.3.3 also)
Wait, so basically I have to apply the JB on the fresh 5.3.1, update to 5.3.3 (+ add the Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack), and then add the screensaver hack? In that order I mean.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #415
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Download from Amazon, the "Update" versioned 5.3.1 -
Install that to downgrade to firmware version 5.3.1.

Then follow this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192

For your purposes, you can stop at the "install kTerm" section - just do up to but not including that kTerm installation.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #416
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Wait, so basically I have to apply the JB on the fresh 5.3.1, update to 5.3.3 (+ add the Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack), and then add the screensaver hack? In that order I mean.
Not exactly, but close ... make sure you have applied the jailbreak on 5.3.1, then upgrade your firmware to 5.3.3, then reapply the Kindlet Dev Certificates and Rescue Pack, then you can reinstall the Screensaver Hack and the JBPatch per their directions. The trick is that while the jailbreak works on 5.3.3 IT MUST BE APPLIED ON 5.3.1. Everything works great, just follow the directions EXACTLY (they are well documented!) and do everything in the proper order.... Good Luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #417
wtzll

Quote:
Download from Amazon, the "Update" versioned 5.3.1 -
Install that to downgrade to firmware version 5.3.1.

Then follow this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192

For your purposes, you can stop at the "install kTerm" section - just do up to but not including that kTerm installation.
Hmm... OK I got it working (soft of...)

This is what i did:

Reset the device ->
Downgrade to 5.3.1 ->
Jailbreak (kpw_jb_520-531) ->
Upgrade to 5.3.3 ->
Install update_rescue_pack.bin ->
Install update_combined-dev-certs-20121002_install.bin ->
Install update_kindlet-jailbreak-20121029_install.bin ->
Install update_jbpatch_3.2.1_fw531_install.bin ->
Install update_linkss_0.7.N_install.bin

At first nothing happened when the device came around after the update. To make it work I had to manually go to JBPatch and restart the framework and after that it started working.

Keep in mind that if I reboot the device, the sceensaver doesn't work right off the bat... I have to go to JBPatch and manually restart the framework every time post boot, and then it works.

Anyway to fix this?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #418
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmm... OK I got it working (soft of...)

This is what i did:

Reset the device ->
Downgrade to 5.3.1 ->
Jailbreak (kpw_jb_520-531) ->
Upgrade to 5.3.3 ->
Install update_rescue_pack.bin ->
Install update_combined-dev-certs-20121002_install.bin ->
Install update_kindlet-jailbreak-20121029_install.bin ->
Install update_jbpatch_3.2.1_fw531_install.bin ->
Install update_linkss_0.7.N_install.bin

At first nothing happened when the device came around after the update. To make it work I had to manually go to JBPatch and restart the framework and after that it started working.

Keep in mind that if I reboot the device, the sceensaver doesn't work right off the bat... I have to go to JBPatch and manually restart the framework every time post boot, and then it works.

Anyway to fix this?
Post in the JBPatch thread on that one, it sounds like a JBPatch problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #419
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Post in the JBPatch thread on that one, it sounds like a JBPatch problem.
No, it's not.

Well, it might be. You can determine that by uninstalling JBPatch, seeing if the problem goes away, reinstalling JBPatch, seeing if the problem reappears. If, and only if, all of that is true, then it might be a problem involving JBPatch. But I honestly don't see why it would.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #420
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No, it's not.

Well, it might be. You can determine that by uninstalling JBPatch, seeing if the problem goes away, reinstalling JBPatch, seeing if the problem reappears. If, and only if, all of that is true, then it might be a problem involving JBPatch. But I honestly don't see why it would.
There might be something cached related to either of the packages.
So the above might do.
To be sure, you might want to include a full re-start (20 sec pwr hold) between the uninstalling and the installing steps above.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch