Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Code:
<title>Rich text editor, editor, press ALT 0 for help.</title>
Err thanks ckedit, I guess?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
A bit cryptic. Any hints as to when/where you see this?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was in some random epub I saved in 0.5.3 and opened in the beta - the title should be empty, but was filled with that at a later save.

I tried to replicate it, but this time it ended up with :
Code:
<head>
  <title/>
  <link href="../Styles/uhhstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
I've also noticed it randomly inserting <mt>, without a closing tag - I have no idea what causes that.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Serpentine
Evangelist

A small nit :
With Tidy completely disabled, the the opening <html ...> tag should be on a new line, not directly following the DOCTYPE decl.

I'm not sure why it's messing about with that stuff when it's disabled... but yeah, it is correct in the source file and if Pretty Print only is enabled.

Another small nit (not beta-specific):
It would be nice if the image insert dialogue could resize the image in the preview panel (aspect correct; fit to inside of frame).
Working with high res line-art gets real old, real fast.

Last edited by Serpentine; 06-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
If anyone has reported problems with the first beta, please retest and confirm if your issue is fixed or not. And just assume we haven't heard about it before whatever it is so that it can be checked.
Bookview is not showing svg-wrapped images.

Regards,

Kim
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Bookview is not showing svg-wrapped images.

Regards,

Kim
Yeah unfortunately that hasn't been figured out yet.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
Serpentine
Evangelist

With Tidy disabled, it completely manges the markup when saving.

Code:
		<h3 id="heading_id_3">Who We Are</h3>
		<p>img4</p>
Becomes:
Code:
		<h3 id="heading_id_3">
			Who We Are</h3>
		<p>
			img4</p>
Also not really a fan of the way that some empty tag pairs (i.e <title></title>) are replaced with their self-closing equivalent, but not all. I'd prefer no self-closing substitution (other than perhaps <hr>/<br>, for those special people.)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
The only thing turning Clean Source off doesn't affect is the changing of the entities. Entity conversion is completely separate.

If anyone has reported problems with the first beta, please retest and confirm if your issue is fixed or not. And just assume we haven't heard about it before whatever it is so that it can be checked.
The automatic character->entity conversion for the \u00ad, \u2013, and \u2014 characters is still not working at all on the Windows platform (not that I mind too terribly).

When building the source package (Sigil-0.5.902-Code.zip) on the Windows platform with the Windows SDK, the ckeditor files are still not being included when building the 'makeinstaller' target (in my enviro, anyway ... even when starting with a brand-spanking new build directory). But changing the "src/Sigil/CMakeLists.txt" file (around line #657) from:
Code:
# Copy CKE
    add_custom_command( TARGET ${TARGET_FOR_COPY} PRE_BUILD COMMAND cmake -E make_directory ${MAIN_PACKAGE_DIR}/ckeditor/ )
    add_custom_command( TARGET ${TARGET_FOR_COPY} POST_BUILD COMMAND cmake -E copy_directory Resource_Files/javascript/ckeditor ${MAIN_PACKAGE_DIR}/ckeditor/ )
to:
Code:
# Copy CKE
    add_custom_command( TARGET ${TARGET_FOR_COPY} PRE_BUILD COMMAND cmake -E make_directory ${MAIN_PACKAGE_DIR}/ckeditor/ )
    add_custom_command( TARGET ${TARGET_FOR_COPY} POST_BUILD COMMAND cmake -E copy_directory ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Resource_Files/javascript/ckeditor ${MAIN_PACKAGE_DIR}/ckeditor/ )
before running cmake seems to ensure that all the ckeditor files get copied to the "temp_folder" location and thus make it into the installer (not really a bug, I know, but it took me a long time to figure that out—not being familiar at all with cmake. Hopefully, it may help someone else running into build issues).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

Code:
		<p>img4</p>
Becomes:
Code:
		<h3 id="heading_id_3">
			Who We Are</h3>
		<p>
			img4</p>
Also not really a fan of the way that some empty tag pairs (i.e <title></title>) are replaced with their self-closing equivalent, but not all. I'd prefer no self-closing substitution (other than perhaps <hr>/<br>, for those special people.)
That seems to be because Book View is writing out poor code that doesn't get cleaned up by pretty print.

If you don't change anything in Book View though, I'd prefer if it didn't make any changes to the code. It obviously is so should be looked at.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
Serpentine
Evangelist

Yeah, it's just working in code view - the new book view and lack of side-by-side pretty much invalidates the other views.

But for now, I'm done playing around with this. This next version is a massive step backwards for Sigil, for anyone besides the most remedial of users.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine
Lets see if I have this straight. You're using BV which will change the code and you've told Sigil not to format it nicely. Now you're seeing the code not being formatted. I can't say I'm not surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme
That seems to be because Book View is writing out poor code that doesn't get cleaned up by pretty print.
That's to be expected when Pretty Print is disabled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
But changing the "src/Sigil/CMakeLists.txt" file (around line #657) from:
Committed.

Turning Tidy off only turns Tidy off. There are other aspects of Sigil that modify the HTML that are not off.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
Serpentine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Lets see if I have this straight. You're using BV which will change the code and you've told Sigil not to format it nicely. Now you're seeing the code not being formatted. I can't say I'm not surprised...
No, I was using code view.

Part of the problem is that the book view is updating the content of the file even if no changes are made. While I was testing on a very simple epub, swapping to a retail book and flipping through files shows it mangling many things without any interaction other than just viewing it in the book view.

On complex books, including some retail titles - swapping between book and code view a few times will start generating invalid xml, strange tags and various things. I'll try hack up some examples.

Last edited by Serpentine; 06-20-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Serpentine
Evangelist

A new issue with the DOCTYPE printing in bookview(seems related):
Starting markup
A few swaps between book and code view

Yeah, that's not valid xml, or xhtml... and it's lost data.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
With regard to the select char->entity substitution not working on Windows platforms:

The following modifications to the "src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource.cpp" file would seem to remedy that. I've only been able to test it (in an admittedly very limited fashion) on the Windows and Linux platforms (my OS X dev machine is misbehaving ATM), but no adverse affects thus far from simply using the UTF-8 hex representation of the characters in place of of the "\uXXXX" unicode codepoint.

Code:
--- Sigil-0.5.902-Code/src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource-orig.cpp	Tue Jun 19 19:39:38 2012
+++ Sigil-0.5.902-Code/src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource.cpp	Wed Jun 20 20:05:26 2012
@@ -178,9 +178,9 @@
 {
     QString newsource = source;

-    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u00ad" ), "& shy;" );
-    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u2014" ), "&mdash;" );
-    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\u2013" ), "&ndash;" );
+    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\xc2\xad" ), "& shy;" );
+    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\xe2\x80\x94" ), "&mdash;" );
+    newsource = newsource.replace( QString::fromUtf8( "\xe2\x80\x93" ), "&ndash;" );

return newsource;
 }
Do with that what you will.

I apologize for the "& shy;" the forum won't let me type the actual entity without weird things happening. There's obviously unneccessary spaces in my patch that would have to be removed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

Code:
		<p>img4</p>
Becomes:
Code:
		<h3 id="heading_id_3">
			Who We Are</h3>
		<p>
			img4</p>
I was also having this problem, see page 1 of this thread. I turned off Tidy and what you have above also happened to my markup along with all following pages being completely right aligned. Turning ON "Pretty Print" and leaving Tidy "OFF" fixed it for me.
Closed Thread