Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
Error when starting Kobo Desktop

Today I got this strange error when trying to run the Kobo desktop software:

I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, and the problem persists.

Running Windows 7 x64. I understand that this could be a problem with Kobo's software only being compatible with 32 bit Windows (in 2012...), but it was working last night.

I have scanned for viruses and come up clean and have unplugged the one USB device I had plugged in, because some people have mentioned this helps.

Here's a thread from 2010 featuring a Kobo rep saying a fix for this problem was in the works:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104372

Just like there are threads from 2010 featuring Kobo reps saying they are working on decent search functions for the store that don't return 500 unrelated results and allow you to filter by author, publisher, etc

Christ I hate this thing
dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My desktop is not having this problem. I am also running 64 bit Windows 7.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm also running W7 64 bit with no problems running Kobo Desktop, calibre, whatever..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Yeah, neither was mine until it started happening today out of nowhere.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
dos
Enthusiast

I just called the tech support line and I got an outsourced call center whose only advice was to re-install the program. How long has Kobo been using these people, it was as awful as calling PayPal!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
It's almost certainly a problem with your PC. I suggest the following:

Do a full system scan with an anti virus program.
Do a surface scan of your HDD
Run a malware checker like Malwarebytes
Run the "Clean up your PC" program and delete temp files etc...

Completely uninstall the Kobo desktop software and delete any directories associated with the program. Then reinstall.

I'm not a support person with Kobo, but if I was having the problems you're having. I would try all that.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Dos; what changes have you made to your PC between Desktop working and Desktop not working?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
dos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
It's almost certainly a problem with your PC. I suggest the following:

Do a full system scan with an anti virus program.
Do a surface scan of your HDD
Run a malware checker like Malwarebytes
Run the "Clean up your PC" program and delete temp files etc...

Completely uninstall the Kobo desktop software and delete any directories associated with the program. Then reinstall.

I'm not a support person with Kobo, but if I was having the problems you're having. I would try all that.
I have done all this, Kobo is the only application behaving strangely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT
@Dos; what changes have you made to your PC between Desktop working and Desktop not working?
None at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Removed as I'm not sure it's legit
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote