Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Berabouman
Berabouman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Ebook reader is easiest on the eyes? i.e doesn't strain your eyes when reading

Thinking of getting one, I'm not very concerned with wi-fi support, size, memory capacity etc, but I am concerned about getting one which is easy on the eyes.

I plan to read a lot away from my computer (which I find can be pretty taxing for long periods of prolonged usage) so that is my first criteria. Price is probably my second.

I've done some reading of user reviews and such, but there doesn't seem to be a definite winner in the "easy on the eyes" category.

Can anyone help with information/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Berabouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I think any e-ink reader should be pretty easy on the eyes, and you can adjust the font size and font as needed as well. If you get a lit one (like the Kindle Paperwhite) it should improve contrast as well.

Beyond that, it's pretty individual, so you could look at a Kindle Paperwhite vs a Nook Glow vs a Kobo Glo at a store that sells them and see which feels best to you.

Also consider what store you'll want to buy books from. If you'll want Amazon, you'll want a Kindle. I think there's a way to support local small bookstores with a Kobo Glo though and that's nice.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Ditto the last post. Any of the e-ink readers should be good. Light differences seem to affect people that read in total darkness (some find they can't get Kobo Glo dim enough for them) but aside from that I would look at some in store if you can and see which you like. Kobo does have more installed fonts and allows you to sideload your own without rooting or anything if you're picky that way.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote