Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
[FIXED] Can't Open Library Books With Beta Upgrade

Edit: Please see my post below. The problem I had was not with the beta upgrade, it was with my process of re-authorizing the Adobe DRM/Adobe Digital Editions.

I've already posted this at the Irex "Bugs" Forum (per the instructions on the "i to i blog").

It's just that I need help and not having this function - my reader can't read LIBRARY books! - is a major problem with this beta for me and I am hoping to see if any of you 1) have seen this problem and 2) know how to fix it.

Anyway - my post:

OK. This problem is THE worst for me - way above anything I may have posted above.

I cannot open library books [downloaded via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)] on the DR800 now that I've installed the beta software. The reader gives me this little text box every time I try to access my books (PDF and/or ePub):

"This loaned document cannot be opened because the license has expired or is not valid"

My ADE account is authorized and I can read the books fine on the computer (PC, running Microsoft XP with SP2).

Here's what I've tried to fix the problem:
- Deleted the library books that were on the reader before I did the beta upgrade
- Sideloaded the books that were still in my ADE account (which recognized the DR800 with no problem, as far as I can tell ... at least it's showing in the left panel)

Nope.

- Deleted the library books from both the DR800 and my PC's ADE
- Re-downloaded the books from the library
- Sideloaded them (via ADE again) to the DR800

Nope.

- UNINSTALLED my version of ADE
- Reinstalled it and borrowed back the library books
- Sideloaded them to the DR800 (again, from within ADE)

Nope.

- Went to "My Digital Editions" folder on my PC and copy/pasted the books directly to the DR800

Nope.

I'm out of ideas. Help?!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can try or anything else you need to know.

Marilyn

P.S. I'd really like it if someone found something really simple that I was stupidly not doing (or stupidly doing). Please .... help?

Last edited by Mickey330; 04-13-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Change title to show there's no problem with the beta release...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
Did you try going into settings on the irex and re-authenticating with your Adobe ID? Not sure where that gets stored, it might have gotten wiped out by the upgrade...
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
I had a similar problem with a book I purchased. After re-activating the DR800 again, I could open the book again. I'm not sure if the same applies to borrowed books...
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Did you try going into settings on the irex and re-authenticating with your Adobe ID? Not sure where that gets stored, it might have gotten wiped out by the upgrade...

Well, Mr. X, I didn't think of doing that.

Unfortunately ...

... it didn't work.

I tried it twice (once after resetting, rebooting, etc).

It just won't read 'em (this is both epub and PDF books ... different books, different libraries, different times, etc).

I even tried (after reactivating the Adobe ID) sideloading the books directly to the DR800 (skipping the ADE software entirely). Nope.

Oh, and once it was showing some sort of activation file (XML document under the hidden .adobe folder on the DR800 card). Went I went back to get the name, it wasn't showing, it had disappeared. I don't know why.

So - went to get it reactivated and guess what?! I got a message: "You have exceeded the amount of devices you are allowed to activate with the Adobe ID." Ain't that grand. So, it was activating fine - although not working on the reader... Odd.

So, now I've got to call Adobe and get more authorizations. Wonderful.

Anyway, thanks for the idea, Mr. X - and I was so SURE that was it...

Still looking for a solution, 'cause I don't want this upgrade if I can't access the public library.

Irex?

Marilyn

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know I sound frustrated - it's because I AM. However, no way is this a reflection on Irex and their reader or software. I KNOW this is beta software. I KNOW there will be bugs. Just as I know that I still like my reader and trust that Irex will fix the bugs. Sigh. I just wish this problem wasn't with MY reader (!).
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Still looking for a solution, 'cause I don't want this upgrade if I can't access the public library.

Irex?
I've had my DR800SG for a couple of weeks now, and I've found the information in this forum to be very helpful. The access to public library eBooks is an important one to me. I have not tried the 2.0 beta.

To Marilyn -- I am bumping this thread back to the top in the hopes that someone else can answer you. Are you still experiencing the same access problems, or were you able to resolve them?

To All -- Has anyone else attempted to load public library eBooks using the 2.0 beta, specifically Adobe EPUB and Adobe PDF with DRM? Was it successful, or are you experiencing the same problems as Marilyn?
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

I just successfully downloaded a PDF and an EPUB from my library (using Overdrive), and they are viewable on the DR800. I copied them in using Digital Editions, and authorized the device from my Mac as well. Not sure what to suggest... Is there a way like with iTunes to deactivate all devices and start from scratch? I had not activated it through ADE with version 1 of the firmware
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Mickey- It could be that the new firmware since it is Beta is not yet recognized by ADE. If the new firmware hasn't made it to Adobe yet then it wont be recognized.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
jm35

Thanks for checking that, Mr X.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Mickey330
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
To Marilyn -- I am bumping this thread back to the top in the hopes that someone else can answer you. Are you still experiencing the same access problems, or were you able to resolve them?
Thanks, jm35, for your concern and for bumping this up. I was coming back today to give an update. It took me this long to answer because I "ran out" of Adobe device authorizations whilst I was messing with this problem, so I had to leave it alone for a while. I got a response from Adobe last night, so was able to re-address the problem. Great customer service from them, by the way.

Anyway.

I fixed the problem. In fact, I probably didn't HAVE a problem, just a misunderstanding on how the Adobe authorization works.

Here's what I think happened:

When I did the beta upgrade, it unauthorized the device for accessing Adobe DRM. After Mr X. suggested that may have been the case, I re-authorized the DR800 from the DR800 - which I now believe was my mistake.

I should have taken my Adobe-DRM-unauthorized device and hooked it up to my computer and let the Adobe Digital Editions program ask me to allow an authorization.

Which is exactly what happened after I got more authorizations from Adobe (man, they were FAST in answering my request!). I plugged in the reader, ADE authorized it and bam - able to download and read both epub and pdf public library Adobe DRM'd/Overdrive e-books.

So, a key lesson for the future - authorize the DR800 for Adobe DRM from the computer, NOT the reader.

My thanks again to all concerned and for the helpful suggestions. Everything is all better and I am back to browsing the libraries ... and writing notes (!).

Marilyn

Oh, and my apologies to Irex for whining. As Gilda Radner said once: "Nevermind."
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
I think the Adobe ID activation on your reader is only necessary if you go and buy books from the emall using the device and downloading it directly through the 3G connection.
If you transfer your books through USB, the ADE program must take care of the authorisation/DRM.

(the 800S version, without 3G, doesn't have the Adobe ID activation option...)
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
jm35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
So, a key lesson for the future - authorize the DR800 for Adobe DRM from the computer, NOT the reader. ...
Marilyn -- Good to know. That tip is probably going to save me some headaches when I'm ready to update to 2.0. I'm relieved to hear that you solved it.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
I think the Adobe ID activation on your reader is only necessary if you go and buy books from the emall using the device and downloading it directly through the 3G connection.
If you transfer your books through USB, the ADE program must take care of the authorisation/DRM.

(the 800S version, without 3G, doesn't have the Adobe ID activation option...)
Exactly.

Although everything should be working together nicely (ADE and Over-The-Air activation and book purchase), so the above sounds like a bug.

The loaned documents is a bit of an odd one though, there could indeed be issues when you mix ADE and OTA loans.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote