Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Electronic Paper in the Trough of Disillusionment?

I noticed this chart on c/net yesterday. The article was talking about solid state drives but I noticed that in July 2007 Gartner had electronic paper half way towards the trough of disillusionment. I don't have the background references but I would assume they're referring to electronic paper used for large signs and grocery store pricing. It got me thinking where the electronic readers are.

I think we're about a quarter of the way up the technology trigger slope but I'm curious what others think.

For people that aren't familiar with the hype cycle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle

It's hard to read the photo but I believe that it shows electronic paper as 2 to 5 years from mainstream adoption in 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fms-gartner-graph.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	15226  
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
One year on

The latest Gartner Hype Cycle report has ebook devices just about to enter the trough...

Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Notice how electronic paper is on the slope of enlightenment...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Interesting. E-book readers are just about to dive into the trough, but electronic paper is on the slope of enlightenment.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Interesting. E-book readers are just about to dive into the trough, but electronic paper is on the slope of enlightenment.
The fact is that eBook Readers have been around 10 years. See eBooks

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 08-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I noticed that but I might be looking at it from a POV different than many will because "enlightenment" is a positive spin sort of word. To me, in the case of tech devices, enlightenment implies acceptance and understanding of the tech not that the device/tech is accepted because it has over come initial or inherent weaknesses.

I think the industry is beginning to see the shortcomings of eink displays and either deciding to move in a different direction or beginning to work around the weaknesses, such as the disappointing contrast of eink brand, which for some of the non-ebook intended uses make the displays less attractive even if they do use less energy. Consider that shelf price tags as well as info panels were used as potential examples of how eink tech panels would be useful...but in practice they are not the panacea originally presented during that initial hype period. A lot more light is needed to keep them readable for many people, so for example, the idea of quickly changed networked shelf tags/labels/info panels controlled from a central location, are not gonna happen anytime soon, until a more reflective/whiter background can be developed.

So, to me all that the "enlightenment" period means is the product is known and accepted for what it is, not what it is not. It does not, however mean the product actually is poised to deliver on the "hype".
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Wow, I actually agree with Gartner. I would have actually put the peak in 1st or 2nd quarter 2010 when the Plastic Logic and Pixel Qi screens come out.

Of course I think that MobileRead is a couple years ahead of the curve and already well into the "Slope of Enlightenment"
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Web 2.0, and wikis, I'd have placed further along, as being already accepted mainstream. As someone with webdesign experience, very little is not web2.0 anymore.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote