Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
veeraganesh
Enthusiast
veeraganesh began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s
Recommend a Dictionary

Can some one suggest a good dictionary that works with both mobi as well as normal pdf's on Irex 1000s? as well as where to buy one.
veeraganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Dictionray working on pdf? Is there any? Never heard of it.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Webster's 1913 dictionary is very good although obviously won't contain modern words. However I prefer the free WordNet dictionary because homonyms appear on the same page so you don't need to jump back and forward to find the right definition.

Don't bother with the GCIDE dictionary though; they can't have a large list of words because they rarely return definitions for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
From my experience, as long as the PDF is OCRed the dictionary will work with it.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 12-07-2008 at 10:52 PM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
veeraganesh
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Just downloaded the Dictionary. Once again, thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
From my experience, as long as the PDF is OCRed the dictionary will work with it.
Do you mean DR1000 provide the function to lookup dictionary from pdf?
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
veeraganesh
Enthusiast

Yes. It does it wonderfully.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You couldn't do this on the iLiad, but you can on the DR1000.

As far as recommendations for dictionaries go, I am extremely happy with the Unabridged Chambers Dictionary, 10th Edition. It's extremely comprehensive and thorough. British English, obviously!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You couldn't do this on the iLiad, but you can on the DR1000.
Then it's worth to add a ticket to iLiadOS project.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As far as recommendations for dictionaries go, I am extremely happy with the Unabridged Chambers Dictionary, 10th Edition. It's extremely comprehensive and thorough. British English, obviously!
Will it find the definitions if you look up words with the Americanised spelling?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Will it find the definitions if you look up words with the Americanised spelling?
Yes. Eg, it contains both "colour" and "color", but notes that the second spelling is American.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
So this means that one could do customised dictionaries. Which sounds perfect for me. I want a pdf reader for D&D and if I can just use a custom dictionary I can make the dictionary myself allowing for mid game look ups on just about everything.

How quick is the look up?

Does it pop up a little window or does it take you to a fresh screen?
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
It's almost instant and no pop up window but a new screen.

The free Encarta dictionary is fine. It has about 80,000 words.

You might want to check Babylon's free dictionaries at http://reciteword.sourceforge.net/stardict/babylon.php. You'd need to convert them to .mobi though.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
That is perfect.

I wonder if there is a way to hack in the display of small diagrams, other that ascii ones :P
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A dictionary is simply a MobiPocket book. I can't think of any reason at all why it shouldn't contain images.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Then it's worth to add a ticket to iLiadOS project.
This is an enhancement to the MobiPocket Reader app, which is integrated into the "Universal Document Shell" to allow dictionary lookup from any supported format. Currently UDS only supports PDF and MOBI, I think, but presumably HTML will be added once there is a web browser. FBReader is not a UDS app, and so can't use the dictionary.

Given that MobiPocket Reader is a closed source package, I doubt dictionary lookup for PDF on the iLiad can be added via MOBI - but it might be possible via Stardict. FBReader dictionary lookup via Stardict may also be possible.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote