Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #16
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Is it any more than a marketing gimmick that detracts from the flow of reading a book? You can look up a phrase or word in Wikipedia if you have WiFi, and generally via phone / tablet / PC it it's really important.
I don't think any book I've bought from Amazon actually has X-Ray, so maybe I'm mistaken and it's a brilliant idea. However, with my Author hat on (I've written 25+ books), it sounds obnoxious and worse than footnotes or Wikipedia articles with too many links that are not really anything to do with the actual article.

Neither I, nor my publisher is interested in generating so called X-ray information and how can any 3rd party generate it in a way that is accurate or would satisfy author or publisher?
None, because if they're real people, historical figures, I look them up on the internet. I used X-Ray in the Kindle only when it's a novel with a long and confusing list of characters. If I get confused, I used X-Ray to look up the fictional character.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
"Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou

One of the xray references to Tyler Schultz is actually Tyler Comrie.

A mention of St Patrick's Episcopal Day School is listed in xray as a
mention Patrick O'Neal.

John Fanzio is mentioned 14 times in the book, but xray has 116 occurrences
of id 262. This is probable because there are several people in the book
named John and many of their mentions are given id 262, including John Fuisz,
id 100, and John Carreyrou, id 251.

The entity_description for id 53, the public relations firm DKC is for the
game Donkey Kong Country.

The entity_description for Heather King, id 95, a former Bois Schiller
partner, is for the essayist Heather King.

Some of the mentions of Julia, a colleague of former Theranos employee
Erika Cheung are listed as occurrences of the reporter Julia Love.

Many xray references to id 112, Todd Surdey, are actually Chris Todd,
and the description for id 112 is also for Chris Todd,

The descrition for entity 363, a Porsche car, is for the founder of the
company.

Elizabeth Holmes' great-great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and
brother are all named Christian Holmes. Xray references to them are
all lumped into entity 10.

Some of the 26 xray references to entity 305, Justin Maxwell, are actually
for entity 367, Justin Fuisz.

References to entities 100, 151, 251, 262 (John Fuisz, John Howard,
John Carreyrou, and John Fanzio) are jumbled.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
x-ray