Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Memory Stick Questions

Is it true you can only store non DRM books, like Classics on the memory stick? Checking out the Sony web site and the Memory Stick chart seemed to indicate only non-protected books can be stored on the memory stick.

Also, can anyone recommend non-Sony, less expensive memory sticks?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
ndskyz
ndskyz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/Tungsten T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Is it true you can only store non DRM books, like Classics on the memory stick? Checking out the Sony web site and the Memory Stick chart seemed to indicate only non-protected books can be stored on the memory stick.

Also, can anyone recommend non-Sony, less expensive memory sticks?

Thanks
I'm not 100% sure but I thought you could put DRM books on the Mem Sticks. I'll have to test that out tonight.

As for the memory sticks.. Owning a PSP I find the San Disk to be just fine Staples has a 2gig Pro Duo on sale for 42 bucks now. Thats perfect for the 505. You'll need the Pro Duo to Mem stick adapter for the 500
ndskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
San Disk & Lexar have worked for me. I have put DRM books on the MS in a 500.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Picked up a 2gig Pro Duo at Staple today for $36. It was marked $59 so I asked for a price check and the sales clerk told me it was $41. But, when I went to check out, it rang up at $36. Great deal! Thanks for the tip.

And I determined you can read DRM books on it fine. I am in geek heaven!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
And I determined you can read DRM books on it fine. I am in geek heaven!
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to read DRM titles on a Memory Stick. The Memory Stick is simply a particular physical package for flash memory used in expansion cards, as are Secure Digihtal, Compact Flash, Smart Media, and Multi Media Card. They will be formatted with the FAT filesystem, and seen as a disk by the device.

DRM is implemented in software, and doesn't care about the type of card the DRM file is stored on. Accessing the physical media is an OS function through a driver that knows how to talk to that hardware. Decoding DRM with an authorized key happens after that has occurred and the file has been read into memory.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
safjazz
safjazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Staples Online

I checked Staples online. The same deal is available there. The price is $41.98 with an additional $7 instant coupon, resulting in a price of $34.98.

Thanks for the tip. I'm having trouble with my SD card draining the Reader's battery, so I want to try a memory stick.
safjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Great. Be sure and let us know how it works for you