Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Go for the 350, it is big enough to be read very comfortably and even slips into my evening purses. I can read a font size smaller than I used to do with my 6" reader as the higher dpi makes the font so clear and readable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think you need to add;

Will I miss that extra inch of size?

If the answer to all 3 is 'no', I agree with Poppaea, you may as well get the 350 and save youself a bunch of cash.
Thought I had that one covered before, sorry for not doing a neat job
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #17
eko0724
eko0724 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
There is only two things to decide:

1. Do you listen do audiobooks or music while reading? And
2. Do you need to have more than a 10year supply of books on board?

If both answers are no, the 350 will be perfect for you!
1. No to music but audiobooks are nice on long rides but I only do that once a year if even so its rare and I have an ipod.
2. This is gray area for me. My own library at home is bursting with books, I have sooo many. I do borrow from the library but I like to own them for i read and reread them many many times again. (some I have read at least 20x) My reasoning for going ebook was that I wanted to own more books but don't have the space so I still get to own them but in one nice little place. Plus I thought it was time to come into the next era, even though there are some classics that will forever be in real hardcover format for me. After reading everyone's wonderful advise and tips I was leaning to the more money saver and smaller pocket but I have the nagging feeling (especially after my my friend comments to me... are you really going to be satisfied with only that much room?) that I might want more room. Some might think I am nuts but my thinking is that I am only buying one devise and I don't upgrade every year when new products come out, I don't make enough money to do that, so this devise will be with me for at least the next 5+ years and will hold everything that I read. And I read a lot, at least a new novel every week or two.

Also- the screen size really make a difference when reading?? Not for taking out and about but for your eyes?

Last edited by eko0724; 02-14-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: size
eko0724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Thought I had that one covered before, sorry for not doing a neat job
I had noticed that. Still say the OP should take a look for themselves before deciding though.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I had noticed that. Still say the OP should take a look for themselves before deciding though.
Yes, of course. You are right! Sometimes I am far too egocentric. I'll work on it. Promised. (Can't stand it when people are like this and I am one of them )
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
flake
flake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: prs950, prs-t1
I have the 950 and my wife has the 650. We are both happy with our readers. The 650 is very nice for novels and text. The extra inch on the 950 is a bit more versatile for PDF files that have tables and pictures. We also looked at the 350, but the 650 red color was the deal maker :-).

Just a note, I am still unable to find the cover for the 650. At the moment I use a double sided tape to stick it to the old 505 cover.
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #21
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I velcro'ed mine (regular is fine, you don't need industrial strength) into an Oberon small journal cover, which holds it in fine; removing it takes effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 46.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	66686  

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 02-15-2011 at 10:42 AM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #22
flake
flake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: prs950, prs-t1
@seabookguy. Beautiful! I removed the spine of the old cover and the clip holes are getting to me :-)
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #23
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have the 650 and love it. I had a PB360 that was 5 inch and honestly, I never loved it. The screen was just too small for me. It was strange since it didn't bother me that much on my ipod but then I think I wasn't expecting as much out of my ipod either. I love the Sony 6" screen, especially with the new pearl touch screen. It really is nice. I do find like others have said that I can read a smaller font and enjoy it than I could before.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
That extra inch on 950 allows it to display complex A4/Letter sized PDFs without scaling in landscape mode.

But it's quite far from being "pocketable".

I'd still gave it a try with 350. I have 300 (also 5") my first impression was "oh my, how small", but after two weeks I stopped noticing the size. If you read EPUB/LRFs that can naturally reflow, that extra inch isn't much. Screen also feels a bit crisper and updates faster.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
You can still have ten years of books in your collections with the 350, store them on your computer. I doubt you'll ever be away from your computer for ten years. ;-)

I had a 300 and considered the 650 when upgrading since it wasn't too much bigger than the 300. I ended up with the 350 and love it. It is much more readable than the 300 was and I like it as well. It even fits in my back pocket of my jeans. I travel a lot and the small size is perfect. I am very happy I stayed with the Pocket.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome, PHughes! I cringed when I read about the back pocket of your jeans though; I could hear the screen cracking.

Even on a two-week vacation, averaging a book a day (plus a few spares), that's barely 20 books.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #27
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Personally I find 6" screens okay, but a bit on the small side...7" sounds nice, and I personally wouldn't want 5". I like big screens though!
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
I finally received my 350 yesterday. After several hours using it, I felt most comfortable with medium font. However, I'm thinking about switching to the 650 and using the small.
I know they are the same resolution, but is the text sharpness on the 350 really that much better than on 650?
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote