Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Samsung Galaxy Player available for pre-order

Just noticed the Samsung Galaxy Player is available for pre-order from Amazon. Price is the same as the iPod Touch 8GB's MSRP.
Quote:
Freedom just got more fun and portable with the Samsung Galaxy Player WiFi. Easily connect to WiFi hotspots anywhere to get instant access to all of your games, music, videos, and more. And with the Galaxy Player's Android open platform, the world of apps is a touch away.

Start with the amazing 4" Super Clear LCD, 480 x 480 HD resolution. You can play 720p HD videos and other formats like RM & RMVB. With 5.1-channel SoundAlive audio effect and 1.3W stereo speaker, you can enjoy a video like you are watching a film in the movie theater. Feel the power of speed with the 1GHz high-speed processor. The large internal memory & microSD slot let you take as many photo as you can with the 3.2MP auto focus camera. More importantly you can change your battery to make sure every valuable moment will not be missed.

Features Operating Platform - Android v2.3.5 CPU - 1GHz S5P-C111 Processor Display - 4.0 WVGA (800 x 480) Super Clear LCD Camera - VGA - Front & 3.2MP Back with AF Connectivity - 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth v3.0 (A2DP & AVRCP), USB 2.0 Media Memory - microSD media (up to 32GB) Internet Tools - Android Browser, Android Market, Google (Search, Gmail, Map, Calendar, Latitude, Places and Google Talk), YouTube (Support HD), Exchange ActiveSync, Online Widget Special Features - GPS, FM Radio, Built-in Speaker & MIC, Multi Touch with Zoom, Multi Tasking Codec - Video - DivX, XviD, H.264, H.263, MPEG4, WMV, RM/RMVB (up to 480x320); Music - MP3 / AAC/ ACC+ / e-AAC+ / AMR/ MIDI/ WAV; Office - doc, docx, xml, rtf, txt, dot, dotx, xls, xlsx, csv, xlt, xltx, ppt, pptx, pot, potx, pps, ppsx, pdf Battery - 1200 mAh (approx. 36-hr for music & 5-hr video playback) OS compatibility - Windows XP SP2/Vista/7 Size (WxHxD) - 2.43 x 4.87 x 0.39 in. Weight - 4.27 oz.

Product Specifications
  • Powered by Android 2.2 , with access to over 100,000 apps including games, productivity software, and more
  • Uses a Wi-Fi connection (802.11 b/g/n) for Internet access
  • 8 GB internal storage with a microSD card for adding up to 32 GB
  • 4-inch super-clear LCD touchscreen with WVGA (800x480) resolution
  • 3.2-megapixel rear-facing camera with built-in flash, and a VGA front-facing camera for video calling
There's also a version with 5" screen for $40 more.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Interesting. Can you download a reader to it?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Interesting. Can you download a reader to it?
Of course, it supports Market.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Interesting. They took a smartphone and took the phone out of it. It has potential, but too bad they limited internal memory to 8gb.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Of course, it supports Market.

Dale
Ok, I know it will read pdf, will it also read epubs with the appropriate reader? This probably seems like a foolish question, but I'm more or less a newbie with this particular tech.

I have an mp3 player, if I got this one, it would be to add the functionality of reading my books most of which are epubs.

I don't know, since I only use my phone as a phone.
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Interesting. They took a smartphone and took the phone out of it. It has potential, but too bad they limited internal memory to 8gb.
Quote:
Product Specifications
  • 8 GB internal storage with a microSD card for adding up to 32 GB
Lack of storage doesn't bother me if there's a relatively easy and inexpensive means of expanding it.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Ok, I know it will read pdf, will it also read epubs with the appropriate reader? This probably seems like a foolish question, but I'm more or less a newbie with this particular tech.

I have an mp3 player, if I got this one, it would be to add the functionality of reading my books most of which are epubs.

I don't know, since I only use my phone as a phone.
Several epub reader apps available for the Android Market - Aldiko Book Reader, Bluefire Reader, Cool Reader, FBReader, Google Books, Kobo Reader, Mantano Reader, Moon+ Reader, NOOK, OverDrive Media Console, Sony Reader - to name a few. Needless to say, the Amazon Kindle app is also available.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard

Coolness thank Jedd! This just might go on my list rather than a 7inch tablet.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lack of storage doesn't bother me if there's a relatively easy and inexpensive means of expanding it.
Agreed, but just think if they'd put 32 or 64gb internal, + your 32gb card.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Agreed, but just think if they'd put 32 or 64gb internal, + your 32gb card.
It's nice but not if they're gonna charge $100 for the privilege like Apple does. Just recently bought a Sandisk 32GB for $30 + $5S&H. I'd much rather have the microSD slot than bigger internal memory but no microSD slot. Not buying this, though. I actually want a nice Android smartphone.

I'm waiting for Google to release the Nexus Prime but right now, I'm sorely tempted to get the Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Clearly they priced the 4" to match the 8GB iPod touch which, until yesterday, was selling for $229. Now that the touch is going for $199, I wonder if Samsung will lower their price to match?

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-05-2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Even if Samsung doesn't lower prices, Amazon probably will.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
I use this device. I have the 5" version (bought it on eBay about a month ago from Hong Kong). Added a 16GB SD card and loaded my normal stuff from the Android market.

Kindle is good - FBReader is fantastic. Loaded a pile of ePubs for reading into the SD card. Also loaded video podcasts and some music.

This is a really good size - fits in one of my Scottevest pockets and lasts a day or so on a charge. Android 2.2 is fairly standard in setup. Camera is good enough. Its nice and slim and I added a thin case and screen protector.

Have tried it with PDF's and they are OK if the PDF is a book. Not much good if they are of magazines (800x480 resolution is a bit low).

HowGozit
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote