Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nypaulie: Here be dragons. Look in the elektra db entries pertaining to powerd. And then quickly forget about it because it's a cramfs mount, a PITA, and a very fine way to softbrick a device really early in the boot process.

TL;DR: Just play with the touchtimeout powerd lipc call thingy.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #152
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@nypaulie:
Could you point me please? And thanks for pulling me back from the brink of brickdom!
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

twobob probably has a 'ready-to-go' implementation of the actual loop somewhere .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #154
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@nypaulie: Here be dragons. Look in the elektra db entries pertaining to powerd. And then quickly forget about it because it's a cramfs mount, a PITA, and a very fine way to softbrick a device really early in the boot process.

My interest in controlling the frontlight was solely academic - just wanted to see if I could. Being able to control the screen timeout does tempt me though as a test of my skills, meager as they are.

Last edited by nypaulie; 12-01-2013 at 05:58 AM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #155
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
So, still now way to turn off paperwhite 2 light completely?
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #156
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
Code:
echo -n 0 > /sys/class/backlight/max77696-bl/brightness
Turns off the light completely on PW2.

3280 raw value corresponds to level 24 in the UI.
Max button increases it to 4095.
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #157
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
So, still now way to turn off paperwhite 2 light completely?
Sure, adjust the three scripts of the FrontLight - Toggle ON/OFF plugin with the new path and it will work on the PW2. It is working for several days now without complication.

Still it would be nice to have one script for both Paperwhite version. Perhaps I find the time to adjust and test it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #158
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Does it actually make any difference or it's just something folks do out of curiosity?

What I'd be really curious to see is someone trying to remove the light diffusion layer, if that is even possible.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #159
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Does it actually make any difference or it's just something folks do out of curiosity?

What I'd be really curious to see is someone trying to remove the light diffusion layer, if that is even possible.

I think the front light is annoying and not comfortable to read. Others don't care. It depends on your preferences.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #160
arcadesdude
Lexically Impaired
arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Got it. I changed the FL variable in all two scripts to

/sys/class/backlight/max77696-bl/brightness

then it seems to work.

I don't have the time right now to adjust the script so it will work on both Paperwhite versions but shouldn't be a big deal (e.g. check if the first file exist (then it's a Paperwhite 1) if not check for the brightness file (then it's a Paperwhite 2) - in all other cases it's not a Paperwhite at all)
I had to do this too to make it work on my PW2. Just following the instructions in the author's post didn't make it work, but after changing the .sh scripts to match the new variable name it worked like a charm!

Thank you joblack and also DuckieTigger, of course, for this extension!
arcadesdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #161
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
By the way, following DuckieTigger's idea, I made a new extension called Front Light Master that works on PW2 and adds a lot of additional features. Check it out at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236491
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote