Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
First eReader

I have been using my phone, and after reading so many books on it I decided my eyes would appreciate if I got an eReader device. I ordered the PRS-650 and got it yesterday, so far I have loved it, probably read 3 hours on it already. My question is the spacing on my ePub books (purchased from Kobo for the most part) the small font seems to fill the screen much more completely, but I generally read at medium font size. When I set it to medium though the text doesnt go to the edge of the screen, I have about .5" margins on either side and the bottom usually has a noticeable gap, not bad but seems a bit odd. I tried playing with the page display options, but they all seem pretty much the same. I saw some pics on here of other peoples eReaders and the text seemed to fill the screen. Is it just the ePubs I am getting? I am currently reading the Dark Tower series.

Also I haven't noticed much other than books for the device, I saw some alternative ways to add some neat things to the reader, flash loading I believe they said. Does that work on the 650? I think having Sudoku or Cross word puzzles would be kind of neat, I'm surprised Sony hasn't added and/or sold these services.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congratulations on your first e-reader, and I'm glad you are enjoying it thus far! More than likely your spacing issues are the books you are reading. On my PRS-900 I adjust text size and cropping the margins until I find the optimum sizing for me. This action would be similar to using text resize and page mode on the -650. In my experience on my -900, cropping margins doesn't work on all books. I think it's not the source of the book (i.e. Kobo versus Sony) but rather how the publisher chooses to format the book. You will find formatting varies by publishers, some better than others.....

I have games on my Kindle. However, I haven't tried games on my Sony so unfortunately I can't help you with the second part of your question.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 09-26-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Congrats as well. I've tended to stay away from games on my Sony Reader. I don't want it to suck away the battery life.

Of course, I'm one of those people who is glad that there is no Wifi/3G on the PRS-650s. I would be too tempted to browse the internet more than read. For me, the more the reader is like pure reading the better.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yea, seems to just be Kobo books so far, their margins are off and oddly formatted. Tried searching around a bit and have considered trying to strip the DRM and run them through a converter again and see if maybe it fixes it. I know on books purchased from Sony Reader store or other sources seem to fill the screen properly no matter which text size is selected. Not a big deal though. The medium text on the Kobo books is also closer to the small text in some other books I have downloaded.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote