Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Can I use the Daily Edition reading light cover with it?

Ok - I've got a confession to make. I'm a tool. And not the sharpest one in the shed either!
I ordered a PRS-300 for the wifey and along with that she liked the idea of the cover with a built-in light. I placed the order through SonyStyle only to realise that I ordered the Daily Edition cover (PRSACL9).

Sony people told me I can return the cover as I left it too late to cancel the order, but I'm not too keen on the idea as I'm not physically in the US and the postage to and fro will probably end up costing as much as the cover itself!

Does anyone know whether she'll be able to use it at all with the PRS-300? I know the PRS-900 is longer, but I'm hoping the width won't be too bad. This is mainly for bed time reading ...

Any info is appreciated!

Cheers,

m-reader
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I very, very much doubt that you'll be able to use it; the Daily Edition is at least double the physical size of the 300.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I very, very much doubt that you'll be able to use it; the Daily Edition is at least double the physical size of the 300.
That's the height only right? What about the width?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The cover for the 900 is just too big for the 300. End of story.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover for the 900 is just too big for the 300. End of story.
Oh, come on! I'm sure this is nothing a pair of scissors and a roll of duck tape can't fix !

Thanks for chiming in guys, I guess I'll just have to store the cover in my trigger happy purchases chest ...
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I guess I'll just have to store the cover in my trigger happy purchases chest ...
I can relate!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Oh, come on! I'm sure this is nothing a pair of scissors and a roll of duck tape can't fix !

Thanks for chiming in guys, I guess I'll just have to store the cover in my trigger happy purchases chest ...
You just need to get a bit creative! Get some 1/4 thick plywood, cut it to fit snugly within the cover (the outside dimensions of a PRS-900), then cut out a section in the middle the size of the PRS-300. Cover the plywood with a fabric that matched the cover, then put some of that stick on velcro on the back of your PRS-300 and the cover within the opening, and secure the PRS-300 with the velcro within the fabric covered plywood frame, and wala, you have a one of a kind custom PRS-300 cover!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Onecanuck
Onecanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600S
Thumbs up Yes you can...

I was at FutureShop today, and I had a - Lighted Book Cover - out of the box. I tried it one both display units. The PRS-300 and the PRS-600 are the same physical height and the pins on the covers fit both. So yes, you can buy the lighted cover for the PRS-300. It won't fit the PRS-900 unit, that one is too big.
Onecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onecanuck View Post
I was at FutureShop today, and I had a - Lighted Book Cover - out of the box. I tried it one both display units. The PRS-300 and the PRS-600 are the same physical height and the pins on the covers fit both. So yes, you can buy the lighted cover for the PRS-300. It won't fit the PRS-900 unit, that one is too big.
Thanks Onecanuck, but the cover I bought is for PRS-900 and the reader is PRS-300.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
You just need to get a bit creative! Get some 1/4 thick plywood, cut it to fit snugly within the cover (the outside dimensions of a PRS-900), then cut out a section in the middle the size of the PRS-300. Cover the plywood with a fabric that matched the cover, then put some of that stick on velcro on the back of your PRS-300 and the cover within the opening, and secure the PRS-300 with the velcro within the fabric covered plywood frame, and wala, you have a one of a kind custom PRS-300 cover!
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
m-reader,

I notice under device you list that you're between reads and are considering the PRS-900. That could solve your problem, keep the cover you accidently ordered for your 900 and get wifey a new one for her 300 (unless you got her some dainty, flowery cover, then you may have to give her the 900, or make a cover for the cover!)!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
The physical dimensions of the three readers are different enough that I don't think any of them could be used in the covers for another of the readers. I'll list all the dimensions as length X width X thickness, and in inches. The 300 is 6.25 X 4.25 X .41;
the 600 is 6.9 X 4.8 X .4; the 900 is 8.13 X 5 X .72 inches. It is the length of the reader that determines which official Sony case can be used - that's because the Sony cases, including the lighted ones for the 300 and the 600, at least, attach with plastic pins that fit into little dimples in the top and bottom edge of the reader. Since the 900 is almost 2 inches longer than the 300, you won't be able to use the 900 case for the reader. Since the 600 is more than 0.5 inches longer than the 300, you won't be able to use the 300 in the 600 case, either.

The old 505 and the 600 are almost exactly the same size. You can use the same cases for each, but the 600 is a tight fit in a 505 case. I own both a 505 and a 600, and I have tried them both in the same cases. The old 505 fits great in the lighted case for the 600. The 600 fit in the original brown cover I got with the 505, but the 600 seemed just a tiny bit longer, so it was tough to get the little pins stretched to fit them into the holes at the top and bottom of the 600 reader.

Last edited by JanetCinNC; 02-01-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
m-reader,

I notice under device you list that you're between reads and are considering the PRS-900. That could solve your problem, keep the cover you accidently ordered for your 900 and get wifey a new one for her 300 (unless you got her some dainty, flowery cover, then you may have to give her the 900, or make a cover for the cover!)!
I think my next purchase will have to wait a while (budget cuts, you know how it is ). I don't mind leaving the cover for "better days", but in the meantime I was hoping my wife would be able to use it - in fact I told he she should be ok (famous last words ).
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
The physical dimensions of the three readers are different enough that I don't think any of them could be used in the covers for another of the readers. I'll list all the dimensions as length X width X thickness, and in inches. The 300 is 6.25 X 4.25 X .41;
the 600 is 6.9 X 4.8 X .4; the 900 is 8.13 X 5 X .72 inches. It is the length of the reader that determines which official Sony case can be used - that's because the Sony cases, including the lighted ones for the 300 and the 600, at least, attach with plastic pins that fit into little dimples in the top and bottom edge of the reader. Since the 900 is almost 2 inches longer than the 300, you won't be able to use the 900 case for the reader. Since the 600 is more than 0.5 inches longer than the 300, you won't be able to use the 300 in the 600 case, either.

The old 505 and the 600 are almost exactly the same size. You can use the same cases for each, but the 600 is a tight fit in a 505 case. I own both a 505 and a 600, and I have tried them both in the same cases. The old 505 fits great in the lighted case for the 600. The 600 fit in the original brown cover I got with the 505, but the 600 seemed just a tiny bit longer, so it was tough to get the little pins stretched to fit them into the holes at the top and bottom of the 600 reader.
Thanks for a thorough answer Janet!