Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Best Headphones for...

What is the best headphones for listening to book?

Please remember I am using a very old iPhone and new Android phone. I am not interested in a new mp3 player yet. So bluetooth headphones are out. I am also not interested in those book bulky 70's style headphone that are making a comeback.

I found these on LivingSocial opinions before I purchase.

https://www.livingsocial.com/product...h-built-in-mic
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
worm in glove
worm in glove began at the beginning.

Device: none
I used to use any old, cheap earphones I find on the go and over the head headphones at my computer but last year I discovered the joys of in-ear phones and I haven't looked back. They block a lot of outside noise and voices come through really crisp, nice and clear.

The pair I own are made by a brand called Go, which is not really an audio company but a company which makes travelling products. I was at an airport and needed a pair of earphones and these were the only ones available in the bookshop. They have turned out really great. They are retractable which makes them durable.

Previously, I used to stuff my earphones into my pocket and they would break after a few months. Retracting them in a second before putting them in your pocket keeps them in good shape. I also used to wait long minutes untying knots in the wire when using them again. Retractable earphones solves this as well.

The only downside is that the coil into which they retract can feel heavy or swing around if you're moving vigorously and if it's not held firmly under a belt or something, or if you are not sitting down.

These are the earphones which I'm talking about.

http://go-travelproducts.com/us/elec...tractor-phones
worm in glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't pick headphones just because they are cheap. Pick headphones that you'll also like for music so you don't need two different ones.

I use a pair of Koss PortaPro. Very nice headphones and good for music as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-...=koss+portapro
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
These are the next generation of a set that I bought in 2011. Dirt cheap, and I found them comfortable. I am no audiophile, I find them quite adequate.

http://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Flex...ook+headphones
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
These are the next generation of a set that I bought in 2011. Dirt cheap, and I found them comfortable. I am no audiophile, I find them quite adequate.

http://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Flex...ook+headphones
I've been using the Kudo ear buds as my carry around earphones. Inexpensive(less than $20) and well made. Does a good job of blocking out the surrounding sounds, plus a lot sturdier that the better known skull candy ear buds.

I use a nice pair of noise blocking over the ear earphones at the office, but those are a lot more expensive.

At home, I just use airplay from my iPad and my stereo system. Earphones will never beat a nice stereo system with good speakers for sound quality.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
I work from home and use over the head for talking on Skype or video chat but when listening to audio books I always load the books on my ipod and never listen thru speakers. I have learned the all the different voices scare my bunnies and freaks them out. When I go workout I enjoy listening to my audio books instead of music. It is always quiet at my house unless the bunnies are thumping over something. So noise blocking earphones does not matter. Just something that works and easily portable for when I go to the gym.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Since the audiobooks are no High End audio, the best HP is the one that sits most comfortable on/in/over your ears. Because you may have to listen for a very long time...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
I have a set of these, the sound is very good, price is very low, reviews are very good. Not sure if this is the old style you mentioned that you didn't want, or how these would be for working out, but I like mine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've been using the ear buds that came with the Fire Phone! I like them so much, I bought a second pair when they were on sale.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Audiobooks are usually of such low quality that short of china headphones for 3$, you won't be able to hear much of a difference between low and high quality headphones.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I really like these: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJ...ic++headphones
The different colors are different costs, and they go on sale rather frequently. They are the most comfortable ear buds I have ever used, but I have very very small ear canals and most don't fit my ears without causing much pain. I have every color available, have been using them for over a year, and they all still work. Which is more than I can say for my $50 Sony headphones.....
Nope, these headphones are not for audiophiles. But for audio books they are great. Not too much bass to where they are muffled, but enough bass so the books don't sound 'tinny'.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
In the last year and half I have broken about 6 different earbuds, I use to listen to music whenever I’m moving about town, so I use earbuds pretty much every day and when not in use I shove them in my purse so some off them the cable broke, others simply stopped working, the funny thing is that it is always the right one, I think I have a radioactive ear

After having broken so many I decided to try the bulky ones (even tough I don’t like them) to see if they would last longer, they last longer all right but that is because I don’t use them, they hurt my ears, since I use glasses and the headphones pressure the glasses against my hear.

I’m now using the ones that came with my Samsung tablet, and let me tell you what a great surprise they were, in the last year I searched for earphones that were in-ear that had the don’t tangle kind of cable and that had a control volume and worked with my ipod nano, and I couldn’t find any, and guess what, without looking I now have all the above in one. They are great for the audiobooks, I can change the volume or even pause the audiobook with the control in the cable, so when I’m in a noisy place I don’t have to search in my bag for the phone to up the volume, just have to touch the button in the cable, I especially like the stop and play button there since I can pretty much put them on and it play and I’m ready without having to touch the phone at all.

so I would recommend something like that, especially if you get interrupted frequently.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have Skullcandy earbuds, which I won and really like.

I haven't been happy with in-ear earbuds--no matter what tip I try, they just don't feel right or stay in properly.

I wish I could use headphones, but I wear glasses and the little bit of pressure from the band is too annoying.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post

I’m now using the ones that came with my Samsung tablet, and let me tell you what a great surprise they were, in the last year I searched for earphones that were in-ear that had the don’t tangle kind of cable and that had a control volume and worked with my ipod nano, and I couldn’t find any, and guess what, without looking I now have all the above in one. They are great for the audiobooks, I can change the volume or even pause the audiobook with the control in the cable, so when I’m in a noisy place I don’t have to search in my bag for the phone to up the volume, just have to touch the button in the cable, I especially like the stop and play button there since I can pretty much put them on and it play and I’m ready without having to touch the phone at all.

so I would recommend something like that, especially if you get interrupted frequently.
I agree. I love the Samsung earbuds. I even convenience my daughter and son-in-law to give me theirs that they weren't using so now I have a couple of backups.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like the JVC Gumy earbuds.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAF160B-Gu...ds=jvc+earbuds
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote