Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Before the reviews of the Cybook started coming in, I was intending to get a "basic" version. However, I am now sold on the leather case. With the NAEB deal, for $25 above the basic price I get the case (a $39.95 "value") plus some other stuff which I could have bought locally but is nice to have. This isn't a deep discount, but it is the best available deal for US buyers.

Is it worth the extra cost over the Sony PRS-505? I think it certainly is to anyone who currently has a library of MobiPocket books. For others, in the US, the Sony may be the better buy, particularly if you are comfortable with the fact that your e-books from Sony may not be transferable to a new device when it comes time to retire this one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #32
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I don't understand all the griping about the price. Getting a Cybook and leather cover from Bookeen costs $389.95, plus shipping from Europe (this has to cost more than US shipping). For $375 from NAEB, you get the same two items, plus some extra stuff. If you don't want the extra stuff, throw it away. You still got the reader and cover for less than the normal price.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Before the reviews of the Cybook started coming in, I was intending to get a "basic" version. However, I am now sold on the leather case.
The case is essential, IMHO. The Gen3 is so "slimline" that I wouldn't feel safe putting it in any sort of bag without the protection of a case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #34
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
I don't understand all the griping about the price. Getting a Cybook and leather cover from Bookeen costs $389.95, plus shipping from Europe (this has to cost more than US shipping). For $375 from NAEB, you get the same two items, plus some extra stuff. If you don't want the extra stuff, throw it away. You still got the reader and cover for less than the normal price.
That's how I'm looking at it. I wasn't interested in all the other stuff in the deluxe package, just the reader and the case. So if I'm getting that for I figure about $38 less (I think the shipping to US was $23) that's good enough for me. The fact that I get that other stuff is just gravy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #35
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
And if you've looked at the Bookeen accessories page, you'll notice the 800mAH battery pack runs $44.95 retail. Given few battery packs show problems, the extra battery pack is not a 'needed' item. We pass the savings on to you!

The whole benefit of an eink device is the extra battery time of the installed battery. Having used the Sony PRS 500 for a significant amount of time, I can say that there would be rare occurrences that you would ever need an extra battery.

And the fact that you might need an extra battery because the one that comes installed in the unit is defective seems illogical to me and actually serves to highlight one of the issues I mentioned to the DA readers last week and that was repair issues. If, in fact, there are defective installed battery units, I don't want to have to pay to have an extra battery unit to replace the defective one. I want a non defective one.

And no one expects BAEN to sell units as a loss or that we readers want BAEN to "pay" for us to get an eink device. What I am saying, though, is that I don't see a sufficient enough advantage to recommend a unit that is $75.00 more than a comparable unit sold in the US and serviced in the US.

For overseas people, it might make a lot of sense but economically, it doesn't make sense to me as a US reader.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
And no one expects BAEN to sell units as a loss or that we readers want BAEN to "pay" for us to get an eink device. What I am saying, though, is that I don't see a sufficient enough advantage to recommend a unit that is $75.00 more than a comparable unit sold in the US and serviced in the US.
You mean NAEB, Not Baen. Though it is interesting that they are anagrams of each other. I never noticed that before.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #37
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Whoops - that was a freudian slip for sure.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #38
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Way to go Derek! I'm psyched! I'm ready to buy ASAP. When do you want my money? When do you start shipping?
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Have the units started to arrive to the subscribers?

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 11-10-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: correction made
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #40
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
You might want to verify and change a typo in your title. I wanted to make it private but since you don't accept PMs I had to go public.

NAEB/Bean sells Cybook OEM device for US$375
I did not change the title. I don't think NAEB/Baen is correct anyway.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The case is essential, IMHO. The Gen3 is so "slimline" that I wouldn't feel safe putting it in any sort of bag without the protection of a case.
It's not a matter of how slim it is. I would not put it in a bag without some sort of protection for the screen. Any eink device needs protection for the screen otherwise, you can kiss most of your money goodbye.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Identical screen, but different controller. The 505 can display 8 grey-scales, the Gen3 only 4. Probably completely irrevelent in normal use except, perhaps, if you're a "mango" fan (is that the right word?).
80% right (by number of letters) it's "Manga"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I did not change the title. I don't think NAEB/Baen is correct anyway.
NAEB is correct, and Baen is correct, but you originally entered "bean" -- I'll adjust it for you though, since we seem to all be agreed as to what you meant.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #44
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Do we know how the warranty will work under NAEB? Don't think I've missed a single thread on the Gen3.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Do we know how the warranty will work under NAEB? Don't think I've missed a single thread on the Gen3.
From a post on the Bar...

"Warranty returns will be handled through NAEB. However it is the same warranty as offered by Bookeen, so the period and standard exclusions remain the same."
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote