Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #256
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My suspicion is more that the fact that you could load 2.1.1 means you don't have one of the "problem devices".
That is definitely the case. There is something in a particular factory firmware version that means something extra has to be done to update past 2.0.0. That is why the 2.0.4 firmware has been sent to some Australians.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #257
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy

Quote:
That is definitely the case. There is something in a particular factory firmware version that means something extra has to be done to update past 2.0.0. That is why the 2.0.4 firmware has been sent to some Australians.
Hmm?

I had 2.04 and it updated to 2.1.4. I also had a problem with my device saying I was out of memory even though I only had 131 books on the device. The problem occurred with both 2.04 and 2.14, so I did a factory reset. This cleared the memory problem but when it reset it loaded the 2.0.0 firmware.

Subsequently, I have not been able to update to 2.1.4. If 2.0.0 is highly problematic and I don't doubt it, then why would Kobo load 2.0.0 when people do a factory reset ?

I like Kobo and I really like the new product line, I intended to buy a Glo and was also contemplating buying an Arc when it came out. But between this never ending roll out and not knowing when to expect product in the U.S., I find myself rapidly losing enthusiasm.

Last edited by fbrII; 10-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #258
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post

Subsequently, I have not been able to update to 2.1.4. If 2.0.0 is problematic and I don't doubt it, then why would Kobo load 2.0.0 when people do a factory reset ?
Sounds like a bug in the upgrade logic.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #259
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
sounds logical
meeera, davidfor

i'm afraid magical thinking is hard to avoid heh
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #260
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Hmm?

I had 2.04 and it updated to 2.1.4. I also had a problem with my device saying I was out of memory even though I only had 131 books on the device. The problem occurred with both 2.04 and 2.14, so I did a factory reset. This cleared the memory problem but when it reset it loaded the 2.0.0 firmware.

Subsequently, I have not been able to update to 2.1.4. If 2.0.0 is highly problematic and I don't doubt it, then why would Kobo load 2.0.0 when people do a factory reset ?
No, it isn't 2.0.0. It is the original factory firmware on some devices. Mine is one of these. When I do a factory reset, it installs to 1.9.11. When I connected to the Kobo desktop application (up until a week or so ago) it downloaded 2.0.0. If I tried to manually install 2.1.1, it either did the dancing squares or restarted but with an incomplete update.

I have talked to Kobo developers about this. When they were trying to solve the problem, they asked me what the factory reset firmware was, and what books were loaded on it after a factory reset. After they investigated, they told me there was an issue with a set of devices that meant that the standard upgrade path wouldn't work past 2.0.0. I don't know if it is the actual firmware, or the "extras" loaded that caused it. I suspect that it is a combination of both with the extras taking up some space that is preventing the update.

Their solution is that for these devices, they will load an intermediate firmware. This is 2.0.4. And then they will load 2.1.4. They have rolled out 2.0.4, at least to some people, and they are waiting for 2.1.4

Lastly, the batch of problem devices came to Australia. Or at least a lot of them did. They where sold here last year. I don't know how they are controlling distributing the 2.0.4 updates. It could be based on the device itself, or it could be IP based. At least one Australian with a device purchased much later has reported receiving 2.0.4. That suggests it is IP based.

All that says the problem isn't 2.0.0, but one from much earlier that Kobo are trying to circumvent.

Quote:
I like Kobo and I really like the new product line, I intended to buy a Glo and was also contemplating buying an Arc when it came out. But between this never ending roll out and not knowing when to expect product in the U.S., I find myself rapidly losing enthusiasm.
I can understand that. But, my Touch works so well on any of the official firmware, that I am happy and will be very tempted when I see a Glo here. I'm almost glad they haven't arrived here as it saves me from that temptation
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #261
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

All that says the problem isn't 2.0.0, but one from much earlier that Kobo are trying to circumvent.
Maybe so, but 2.0.0 was not a good version, and a bad one to be stuck on.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #262
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Lastly, the batch of problem devices came to Australia. Or at least a lot of them did. They where sold here last year. I don't know how they are controlling distributing the 2.0.4 updates. It could be based on the device itself, or it could be IP based. At least one Australian with a device purchased much later has reported receiving 2.0.4. That suggests it is IP based.
It's also possible, I guess, that they bought from somewhere that was selling off old stock.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #263
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I get the distinct impression that the roll-out has ground to a halt.
Me too... but why won't they say so? We're all waiting impatiently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfaust View Post
perhaps..... and i know it's crazy conjecture,perhaps the fact that i sideloaded 2.1.1 first triggered the update? i know several in my area that haven't gotten the update

really curious as to what metric they are using

sidenote: loving 2.1.4, stable and zippy
Nope, I sideloaded 2.1.1 and haven't received 2.1.4. I factory reset yesterday and am stuck on 2.0.0 now. Gah. Contemplating manually updating, but factory reset was so unstable (it took about 3-4 hours of continuous resets followed by square dancing and more resetting before it was successful in switching on) that I don't exactly trust the inside of my device any more. Maybe safer to wait in agony with horrid page turns and no reading clock for the official 2.1.4.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #264
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
I don't really understand the delay on this firmware release. I still have no sign of it on my device.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #265
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Question

Hi everyone, I've been checking for the update every day (Canada) and still haven't got it. Has anyone else in Canada got it yet? I'm not complaining. I'm just excited to see what's changed and how it works.
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #266
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Hi everyone, I've been checking for the update every day (Canada) and still haven't got it. Has anyone else in Canada got it yet? I'm not complaining. I'm just excited to see what's changed and how it works.
Three KTs in my family got the update several days ago. As part of playing with the reboot on reading an epub from a SD card over the Thanksgiving weekend, I did several factory resets and each time the KT updated to 2.1.4 when connected through the desktop app.

OTOH, one of my co-workers KT had not updated as of this afternoon. After a factory reset, it updated to 2.0.0 so we manually upgraded to 2.1.4. Hopefully, I'm not going to get an earful about problems over the next couple of days.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #267
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus9999 View Post
The thing is I bought a kobo mainly because I liked the device at that moment. With every firmware update kobo added more features related to their shop which isn't useful for me as I only read sideloaded epubs. That's why I've started modifying the firmware.
+10
I think I will finished my currents books, then try 2.1.4 with alpha plugin.

Does the user hask is working yet, to avoir create an account?
MrBook69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #268
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well nothing happening for me in Melbourne yet. Still on 2.0.4. But as it's working well for me, fast page turns, etc, I'll just wait.
And wait.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #269
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Hi, I'm in Canada and am still waiting for 2.1.4 I was just wondering if someone from Kobo can officially let us know what is going on. I've heard "issue" rumors, but it would be helpful to hear from Kobo what is happening.
Thanks
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #270
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
For heaven's sake why all this complaining and waiting? Just do a manual update. I'm in Australia and my device updated to 2.0.4 [so it might be a problem one] and then I upgraded manually to 2.1.4 from the link on this site. It works really well -- fast and stable.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote