Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about using it in USB mode

I got used to using Calibre with my Sony because I liked having the tags and collections and because it's hard to use the SOny on work computers since the software is not installed. Since the Kindle does not use these features and does not have software, I guess using a file manager like Kindle is not as necessary (nor is it necessary to use the same computer all the time) but I did my initial transfer this way anyway to make sure everything had a proper file name and author name, and to convert things. However, today at work I had some files I saved to a memory stick to take home, and it occurred to me that if I had my cable with me for the Kindle, I could have just put them straight on there. These are work documents I am not concerned with saving forever necessarily so I don't care about having them in my Calibre library, I just want them on the Kindle to read.

So is there a downside to doing this vs using Calibre? Is it a bad idea to sometimes use Calibre and sometimes just drag and drop a file on?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Ficbot,

What sort of documents are they? If they are Word docs or spreadsheets or similar, there should be no problem in physically transferring them to your Kindle, but you won't be able to do anything with them once they're there. You'll need to convert them to Kindle format first.

Apart from that, there's certainly no disadvantage to simply dragging your files onto the Kindle, for example from Windows Explorer. I do it all the time, without necessarily using Calibre, especially if they're files that I don't plan to keep in the long term.

If I've misunderstood your question, my apologies.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
They are word docs. The Kindle told me I could email it to my Kindle and they would convert it. But since I am in Canada they will not let me download the converted file on whispernet, so I got an email back from them with the file attached in az format. If I had my Kindle cable with me, I could have put it on directly---I guess since there is no library software like for the Sony, there is no real reason why file transfers have to be done from my computer at home. But I did not want to mess up Calibre by using the Kindle elsewhere and I was not sure if this was an issue.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But I did not want to mess up Calibre by using the Kindle elsewhere and I was not sure if this was an issue.
Not an issue at all. I mainly use Calibre for the occasional subscription and for archiving my ebooks. Otherwise if I'm not adding books via Whispernet, I'm dragging and dropping them via USB.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote